Notices

Working in a hospital, I really hope there will be some medical apps / calculators and other stuff of this sort soon. I always used my earlier phones / pda's for quick references (drug dosage for example) and I really miss that with the n900. Of course I knew this would be a problem before I got it.
Are there any nurses / doctors with the same problem or am I the only md who chose not to get an iPhone?? How do you guys handle this problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to moddus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I was enquiring whether something like this could be implemented on Maemo. I already use a number of bits and pieces for mindfulness.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
You can bet you won't be the only medic using it next week, was waiting for the 3 network compatibility to be sorted before getting it, now that its done i'll definitely be picking one up in the next few days. Like you said i just hope medical related applications will come on board, they could be so helpful....i believe the community can make this happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to avatar112 For This Useful Post:
this is the main reason no matter how g8 nokias are but lack of med apps is a deal breaker for me...i know fanboys here hate if something related to iphone comes up but nokia just do not have the brains how to attract customers! i bet apple went to epocrates to make an app for iphone... rem that first apps announcement apple did? epocrates was one of the invitee to demo their app...yeah there are workarounds to get epocrates and other palm os apps using gvm but not all apps are compatible and its just not reliable-one reset and everything is erased from gvm..
nokia just can't wait and watch and expect devlopers to make app for their platform..

The Following User Says Thank You to chakli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yes, there are some great features that can be used with the tablet for medical reference, calculations, patient tracking, evidence based care, etc.

Garnet VM is a Palm OS emulator that I pretty much use on a daily basis.

Kchmviewer is great for reading medical books.

VNCViewer can be used with your home computer to access UptoDate software. Apparently version 17.3 doesn't require java websphere anymore so I'm hoping it will work in Garnet. I'm just waiting for the DVD to come by mail.

PM me if you need any help.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
N900 has a very small screen for practical hospital use. I recommend you to wait for the new iSlate soon to be released. It will support the hundreds of already existing medical apps for the iPhone.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
This message is hidden because OrangeBox is on your ignore list.
Yay! It works!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
This message by Addison is hidden because it's not at your intellectual level.
OMG the new filter works!!! Thanks MaemoTalk!!!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by moddus View Post
Working in a hospital, I really hope there will be some medical apps / calculators and other stuff of this sort soon. I always used my earlier phones / pda's for quick references (drug dosage for example) and I really miss that with the n900. Of course I knew this would be a problem before I got it.
Are there any nurses / doctors with the same problem or am I the only md who chose not to get an iPhone?? How do you guys handle this problem?
Are there websites you could use?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
would be good to have jrcalc app like on iphone. i have pdf to use on n900 but no pdf readers available that support bookmarks,chapters,etc.
its vefry usefull document that us ambulance staff sometimes rely on.

The Following User Says Thank You to dread123 For This Useful Post:

Tags
clinical, medical