Active Topics

I have NO DOUBTS that this is a MARKETING effort by Canonical.

Only those scumbags would resort to an effort such as this.
Currently, it's going above the necessary "rate" but not by a huge stretch.
Soon it will plateau as these projects normally do. And fall short by a wide margin.

As people have pointed out (and even I've looked at the data), this thing is poised to hit the $10 Million mark.
I doubt if it will pass that much, maybe $13 M, can't really see it hitting $15 M.

Plan:
1 - Introduce a concept that is a hit among the crowd
2 - Add novelty specs that let it stand out of the crowd (sapphire, battery, 128GB, 4GB RAM etc etc)
3 - Start a crowdfunding project
4 - Place a high barrier of entry ($600 !)
5 - Create an impossibly high barrier for success ($32M !!)
6 - Play the role of "the good guys"
7 - When the campaign fails, and it will, blame the failure on "not enough interest"
8 - Kill any hopes of Linux-phones for others with crowdfunding ideas

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
They broke every Indiegogo record possible according to this new article:

http://crowdfundingforum.com/showthr...s-With-Project

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Why the hell not?

The indiegogo pay now exceeds 5.5 million dollars.

I signed up for the Edge! Got in at $675. There is a return policy if you don't like their phone, so risk is lessened. The earlier comment on this thread about the possibility of Sailfish OS running on the Edge interests me like a kid in a candy store.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So far so good. This could be a good bookmark to have:

The progress - so far so good:
http://ubuntu-edge.info/

A solid video with Mark Shuttleworth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZqmFXalqKic

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
They are discussing possible spec reduction like removing 128 GB to 64 + SD since they can't sell enough devices for $830. (not sure if they are official employees or just some users)
Defo just users. Reading the mass of comments I think if some people that have pledged (or not) had their way by the end of the campaign they would be happy with a cheap knock off of the Galaxy S4...which is completely missing the point of what this campaign is about...for me at least.

Last edited by cferrism; 2013-07-25 at 09:42.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Who want one of these...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-25 at 12:13.

Mark Shuttleworth Reddit AMA today!

Get your Ubuntu Edge questions ready! Today Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu, will be hosting a Reddit AMA session.
What’s a Reddit AMA? It’s a live text interview on reddit.com, during which you can all submit your questions, and Mark will choose the most interesting ones to answer.

The session will start today (Thursday 25 July) at:

Los Angeles - 09.30

New York - 12.30
London - 17.30
Moscow - 20.30

We’ll post the link on the Ubuntu Edge Indiegogo page around 30 minutes before it starts, so check back then with your questions ready!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ub...4036946?c=home

The Ubuntu Edge team

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-25 at 14:12.

Will (parts of) the Ubuntu Edge be Open Hardware?

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
"This first version of the Edge is to prove the concept of crowdsourcing ideas for innovation, backed by crowdfunding. If it gets greenlighted, then I think we'll have an annual process by which the previous generation backers get to vote on the spec for the next generation of Edge.
So in this first generation Edge, no, we didn't look for open hardware specifically. We can choose silicon with more open drivers as we finalise the spec, but again I think the priority for the CPU / GPU will be performance to hit the goal of convergence.
In future generations, it would be great to see if we can do an all-open device, for example."

on IR blaster

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
“IR sender is a very cool idea, will see if we can work it in, thank you!”

on wireless charging

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
“We considered it and decided it would make the device too thick (because we are already pushing the limits on storage, RAM etc). In a future iteration I would like to do both wireless charging and wireless display for untethered convergence, but that’s Not Ready Yet, even for the crazy people.”

Can you talk about the licences that will be used for this project and how open they will be? Are we gonna see binary blobs or can we expect the firmware to be released as open source? I think this is a really important question for a lot of people.

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
"There may be blobs in the first generation device. The way to a blob-free future is to show demand from folks who care about that, not to be ideological about it.
On architecture - that's an open question and we're studying the proposals and raodmaps of the top silicon providers to see what part has the best chance of crossing the PC / phone gap."

How will you address the privacy concerns on contemporary phones?

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
"We're entering a really interesting phase where in a sense our very own tools spy on us.
We will certainly have an easier time providing transparency on the origin of the code in the platform than, say, your average android device, where it's all a big hacky mush. The core OS which will be updated regularly on the Ubuntu phones is all traceable directly back to standard Ubuntu source and binary packages.
There will be a core piece on each phone which handles the hardware, consisting of kernel and drivers and firmware and interfaces to things like the radio. That's where unhealthy things could creep in from manufacturers and carriers. We can offer... constructive guidance there."

How will the 32 millions USD be spent? Will it all go to the hardware (including research/design etc), or is some of it going into the development of the software too?

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
Software is covered by our existing efforts to bring Ubuntu to mobile, nothing more needed there. The crowdfunding is really what it costs to bring a device to market, it would be more if we were a major brand, $32m is pretty lean I'm told. Hope the actual cost doesn't exceed it or I'll be carrying that baby but hey it's worth the risk.

Carrier interference/lockdown
How are you navigating the carrier & manufacturer interference waters with Ubuntu Phone? One of the most frustrating things as an Android user is that both the phone manufacturers and the cellular carriers lock down devices and install unwanted software.
Are you planning on allowing carriers to lock down certain features (like root) of Ubuntu phones? Do you forsee handsets with manufacturer-installed software (apps or even shells) that can't be removed or replaced by the user?
Edit for clarity: I'm asking more about the overall platform & the agreements Canonical is making with hardware manufacturers and carriers, not about the Edge specifically.

On a tangent from this question, how will be be able to use the Edge on carriers like Verizon here in the US that are very fond of locking everything down?

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
"We've proposed to our carrier partners that:

there's a hardware part to the software that they are responsible, which is essentially drivers, that gets updated on their schedule (but is not user visible, no apps)
there's a core-OS part, which is Ubuntu, which gets updated automatically and is the same for everyone
there is a layer for carrier customisation, which may be additional apps or scopes or themes but not core OS changes
and then there are end-user apps
In that world, I think we'll have less silly bloatware, and we can certainly keep the core OS part clean and up to date."

Would you consider Ubuntu a "traditional" Linux OS, given the number of exclusive features that got implemented in Ubuntu during the last years or is it maybe time to make a hard cut between Linux and Ubuntu? (Just from a top-level, consumer perspective of course. You guys are doing very exiting things with Linux)
Keep the Updates coming, very exited for 13.10 and Mir!

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
"No, I think every Linux has its reason for existing, which means it has its differences. And that's just fine. I think Ubuntu is every much Linux - all the parts we invest in are free software for other distros to try if they want, too.
More generally, I think this meme is a bit of sour grapes, and if we want Linux to evolve based on sour grapes, we'll all just have a bad taste in our mouths in the end "

Mark, i'm Debian user (and Ubuntu too). What about providing Unity for Debian/Other Distributives? What is the situation with sending patches to upstream?

FYI, the non-upstream patches unity depends on are basically listed here https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch; that list, however, includes even too many things to have a basic unity experience (i.e. there's not real dependency on lightdm or unity-web-apps; while some other patches are now upstream).
I talked also with some debian devs and there is some intrest in providing unity on it.

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
"Yeah, it's total FUD that we make it hard for people to support Unity. It's a fast-moving project, sure, but it's always been hard to keep up with those, and the main reason for Unity not being on say Fedora or SUSE is imo political rather than technical.
We've taken patches from various folks to ease their efforts in bringing Unity to other distros and would gladly take more - many eyes etc.
Similarly for Mir, we think it's important to have at least two great efforts to bring next-gen display to the free ecosystem, we think Mir has real advantages over the alternatives, and would love to see it more widely adopted. Are starting to see projects support it and feedback is they love the APIs and we love the opportunity to get more feedback!"

Hi and thanks for your time. Will the Edge be covered by any warranties outside of the return policy?
Also how long will the Edge be recieving software updates?

[–]Mark_Shuttleworth[-]
"We want to support the edge with updates to 14.04 LTS and then through the life of 14.04 LTS, which would be a total of 6 years."

And a lot more Q&A here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...der_of_ubuntu/

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-25 at 18:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: