Originally Posted by maluka View Post
What happened to Chromium? It was the best backup browser for a while.
Some Israely company filed a suit against google, nokia **** their pants and removed it from repositories.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
Some Israely company filed a suit against google, nokia **** their pants and removed it from repositories.
Not quite true. Nokia Legal asked if we wouldn't mind removing it from maemo.org (since they were the legal owners) and with jacekowski in the loop, the Council complied.

We also offered to act as intermediaries with jacekowski and Red Panda to see if we could find a way by which they'd be satisified maemo.org was distributing a version which didn't contain any source or binary references to the algorithms on which they allegedly hold the rights. jacekowski never took us up on the offer :-(

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
We also offered to act as intermediaries with jacekowski and Red Panda to see if we could find a way by which they'd be satisified maemo.org was distributing a version which didn't contain any source or binary references to the algorithms on which they allegedly hold the rights. jacekowski never took us up on the offer :-(
Which was smart, as that would have suggested Red Panda's patents were in some way valid. Better to show that software patents cause innovation to rot and progress to stall than to comply

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Which was smart, as that would have suggested Red Panda's patents were in some way valid. Better to show that software patents cause innovation to rot and progress to stall than to comply
Software patents are valid in multiple jurisdictions. You might not like it, but I don't like a 70mph speed limit on UK motorways either. Anyway, I'm sure the users who don't find jacekowski's repository, or those who want Chromium if he ever disappears (as so many people have before), will appreciate the moral stance ;-)

Anyway, since Maemo uses apt as an update distribution mechanism there's certainly no use for Courgette in the Maemo version of Chromium. Whether or not that's easy to remove from both source and binary is not something I've looked in to (it seemed more appropriate a question that the maintainer would be able to answer).

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
- Virtual mouse pointer controllable by finger is a god-send. Ability to simply select exactly what I want just like a mouse by holding shift to highlight text etc, hover on top of web objects and see context popups or navigate menus etc. WHat other browser can do this? (Opera does it via keyboard arrows but it's just not the same)
If you press and hold on the screen in Opera it displays a menu for selecting (by touch) or search. If it's a link you also get the open in new tab option.
If it also used plugins like flash I would be in mobile heaven. I' ve had my N900 for almost a year now and since Opera came out I only use microB for flash. And I do A LOT of surfing on the move.
Enough to drain my data plan dry before the end of the month

Im loving MicroB!!!!!!!!!

Save MicroB!

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:

Tags
microb