Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Seriously though, can the camera sensor be turned on with the cover closed and be used to convert pixel flickers into a reasonably accurate radiation detector? Think how useful this would be in a Japan reactor melt down incident.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I could do it with my hands.
Show me patients, and i'll do great without n900
You are just ASKING for it...

... I COULD post some images of "patients" I could recommend to you

but I am not that mean.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Seriously though, can the camera sensor be turned on with the cover closed and be used to convert pixel flickers into a reasonably accurate radiation detector? Think how useful this would be in a Japan reactor melt down incident.
Yes, perhaps we could measure some radiation in the picture noise if the cover is closed. But as far as I know only Alpha and Beta radiation. The even more dangerous, the Gamma Radiation is not measurable this way. But the mobile measuring instruments (Geiger-Müller counter) are also not capable against Gamma Radiation.

But we anyway must find a way to access the camera with a closed cover... is the camera only because of the driver and software implementation not working or are some wires not connected as soon as the cover is closed?

The next issue: Who is brave enought to do the testing?

We have to calibrate each camera sensor before and we will be responsible if the application fails and some dude relies on this application.

What if the application wouldn't detect anything while someone is in real danger?

Fun is fun. And this is clearly a harmless application. But as soon as someone cold gets hurt the fun is over and from that point it's not my project anymore...

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Other way around, alpha(a helium nucleus) will not penetrate the plastic case, beta(electron moving near the speed of light) probably not much useful penetration, gamma(photon above x-ray in energy) zings right through is ionizing radiation and will trigger a CCD or CMOS sensor.

BTW internal alpha emitting radionuclide ingestion is highly ionizing and dangerous although nearly harmless if radiated against the dead outer layer of skin.

A radiation detector app, obviously uncalibrated, could be a great tech demonstrator to keep Maemo/Meego in peoples heads even if Nokia is desperate to ditch the project.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by helex View Post
Only 2 votes to go!
There you go

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Hi! Just thought of an app in line with this wacky x-ray...anyone want to develop it?

Can we make the N900 into a thumbprint reader (requires that you hold the N900 upright) that actually activates the N900 front camera and takes a snapshot of person and edit it so show some interpol wanted list?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I guess it is now official and I just wan't to say thankyou. My very controversial discussed Application N900-X-Ray participated at our Community Coding Competition and won the 2nd place! Yay!

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL VOTERS!

It was a really big surprise for me and I'm shortly before to say I have stopped the development of this small fun application ways to early.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:

Tags
funny, jokeware, strange