Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Obviously, it is not running Unity or Gnome 3. It is running LXDE. Because that's what you do in a resource-restricted environment. You reduce the bloat.
I'm sure that you if run this on the Jolla, it will behave in the same way as your laptop. I think I made my point though, if you think about it ;-)

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I'm sure that you if run this on the Jolla, it will behave in the same way as your laptop.
Can you run this on the Jolla??? My problem with modern portable electronics is that, honestly, they aren't general-purpose computing devices any more; the manufacturers do everything they can, physically and legally, to restrict you from using the device in any manner not specifically authorized by them. And replacing the GUI is definitely not authorized by any manufacturer I know of...

(I would imagine that Jolla would not have any interest in allowing you to use a different GUI, as pretty much the only product Jolla has to sell is their GUI... )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Can you run this on the Jolla??? My problem with modern portable electronics is that, honestly, they aren't general-purpose computing devices any more; the manufacturers do everything they can, physically and legally, to restrict you from using the device in any manner not specifically authorized by them. And replacing the GUI is definitely not authorized by any manufacturer I know of...

(I would imagine that Jolla would not have any interest in allowing you to use a different GUI, as pretty much the only product Jolla has to sell is their GUI... )
Technically, of course it's possible. At least the bootloader is open (or you can open it, rather). It'll cost you a bit, you'll probably have to solder some sort of input device in, but it's possible. Is it practical? Maybe not. Are there mobile OS's that make it practical? Yes. Do they all perform equally and use hardware resources efficiently? That was exactly my point.

Technically, of course it's possible. At least the bootloader is open (or you can open it, rather). It'll cost you a bit, you'll probably have to solder some sort of input device in, but it's possible.
Dear God. I'm not a hardware kind of guy, and don't even want to get close to a soldering iron...

But yeah, that's my point -- in the past, portable computing hardware made it strikingly easy to install your own software, up to and including the actual operating system. Today, it is exactly the reverse. And that's the fundamental problem; it doesn't matter if one operating system or GUI is more efficient than another. You aren't the one making that choice; the manufacturer makes a decision, and then penalizes you in every way possible if you don't agree with that decision...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
in the past, portable computing hardware made it strikingly easy to install your own software, up to and including the actual operating system. Today, it is exactly the reverse.
Well, if history is correct, you couldn't change much of the ROM in a Commodore 64, so things move in cycles ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I think I made my point though, if you think about it ;-)
Yes, you did. Though I am not sure you quite grokked mine. Hint: it is in the last sentence.

Yes, I am sure Jolla could do all that my 11 years old laptop can. If only they'd reduced the bloat.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
theuuheuuuhummm

just undug (...) my Jolla after 3 months of having forgotten it (pretty much) as i had started to use the Moto Photon Q (with CyanogenMod) instead of the Jolla's Android when the Android stuff one day literally vanished from the phone - apps & icons of Android apps are still there but the Android system directory is gone...

so i went into the shop and looked for office in the store and came up with Jolla's "viewer" - cute but doesn't quite match OpenOffice in my book, sorry

DVD authoring...
do you think Dirk and kimmoli will start looking into a "burnerTOH" once they are done with TOHKBD2? of course, nobody expects it to fit a full sized DVD but maybe those credit card format ones???

but seriously...
i'm sure SailfishOS is doing as good a job at managing resources as MeeGo did / does and with some tweaking might even nearly reach Fremantle prowesses (256MB of memory, remember?)...
the problem is like i already outlined with the office package that Jolla simply doesn't have that many applications - lots of little goodies but m$o, openoffice, goffice?
of course all of those are available as Android apps, right, only...
once you start up those, 1GB of memory is precious little

another example?
a few weeks ago i got a new cable modem with built-in wireless network; works fine on the Lumia, works fine on CyanogenMod... and those *****s from Jolla can't even connect to it...

don't understand people like Quaddy who got ride of their Jolla and get another one - if there was only a remote chance of getting a meaningful part of the original price back i would gladly get ride of mine

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
DVD authoring...
do you think Dirk and kimmoli will start looking into a "burnerTOH" once they are done with TOHKBD2? of course, nobody expects it to fit a full sized DVD but maybe those credit card format ones???
USB-OTG is a glorious thing. I've recently been hooking up all sorts of odd peripherals to my HTC phone (and to my brother's tablet). One really cool one was an ancient barcode laser-scanner; worked the instant it was plugged in, no drivers required...

Why wouldn't you want to properly manage any sort of peripheral from a portable computing device? It drives me nuts that people have sort of accepted the notion that "Hey, it's tiny! So of course it can't do all the same things a normal computer can do..."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
USB-OTG is a glorious thing. I've recently been hooking up all sorts of odd peripherals to my HTC phone (and to my brother's tablet). One really cool one was an ancient barcode laser-scanner; worked the instant it was plugged in, no drivers required...

Why wouldn't you want to properly manage any sort of peripheral from a portable computing device? It drives me nuts that people have sort of accepted the notion that "Hey, it's tiny! So of course it can't do all the same things a normal computer can do..."
okay, so you got your mobile device in your coat or jeans pocket, an USB cable in your backpack (i always have one for the ~4 Ah battery i carry with me...) and...
in which pocket do you put
  • the printer?
  • the scanner maybe?
  • the OCR? (maybe it fits in the backpack?)
    (btw, did you see OCR on jolla ?)
  • and what not (?)

i have a powerful enough laptop at home
Code:
m6500-x940:/ # uname -a
Linux m6500-x940 3.16.7-21-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 14 07:11:37 UTC 2015 (93c1539) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
plenty of space for the all-in-one and a couple external (USB or eSATA) disks but... why on earth would i want to connect any of those to my mobiles?
waiting warily on my TOHKBD2 (again, not because of the TOHKBD2 but because of the lousy sailfishOS )
i even have a Moto Photon Q (with slide-out QWERTY keyboard)
am i going to drop my laptop for those?
what do you think?

so yeah, sure, especially with the N900 and Fremantle it was fun to go in the terminal and use it like a pocket Linux computer but
  • Android?
  • Jolla?
sorry, not there yet, far from it...
if Jolla doesn't **** it up completely the TOHKBD2 might bring the Jolla a little closer, but... i'm sceptical

PS: the one device i might consider a replacement for the N900 (apart of the Neo900 which is alas far too expensive for the use i would have for it) would be the xt897 (Photon Q) with Fremantle...
can dream right?

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
With the annoucement of the coming Fair Phone 2, I've to say my dream phone is a Fair Phone 2 + SFOS.

Good specs, a manufacturing process as fair as possible, designed to be repaired...the ideal phone to me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2