Active Topics

Closed Thread
Thats it.

In my honest opinion they are leaving every current contribitor behind, and this is, I believe, a step further towards closed source.

Leaving the ship, wiith that announcement I am afraid

http://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/...2015_FINAL.PDF

EDIT:

On request. I try to clarify my standing.

The initial announcement was very worrying for me, yes. Since, more have evolved, both from Jolla, but also from the dear members of this community.

So, do I leave. Hell no. Never mind if the current 'beta' devices gets dumped by Jolla. This is still one good piece of hardware for me, and the open SailfishOS (yes, I know, not completely open) suits me, and I believe this community fairly well. It is surely not as handicapped by Aegis like my dear N9's.

How come my anger?

This is unfortunately how I am. I get worried, from sensire concern that I (we) will losse yet another battle.

I make mistakes, I should probably think more, before I write. Excuse me. But that is part of me, and by not voluntarely giving up I have won many battles.

As for the donations, what Have I gotten ?

I have so far invested in
books on Qt development.
Jolla phone (when it was expensive)
Jolla Tablet
A new (used) PC for development
Hardware to support hacking not only the Jolla, but also N9 (experimenting with serial communications for looking at early boot process)
Licenses and donations for exisitng applcations, some are free, but when it suits my needs I have donated (as an example, I donated 20€ to Navifirm developer)
Donations for other developers like coderus and cepiperez (I dont want to say how much, but a fair good amount)

When it is claimed that nothing was made. I really hope that not all feel that way. I have made at least a few good initiatives - and no - they are not 100% done.
To mention those that I favour:

Prey
Tor
a long list of hacking tools, like nmap, hping etc
I have also helped individuals with individual problems, as for example SSH, openssl, PHP, Apache server, Postgresql to mention a few.

Oh! And I managed to get a spare battery as replacement for one dead one.
And, a charger that will charge Jolla battery, when the phone refuses to boot enough to charge.

Next spending, is probably replacement of one device that has a broken sim-slot as a result of disassembling.

The donations, I must say, dont cover even the expenses laid out so far. Thats not what I was asking for, I was enabling me to continue my work, which I will, both for Jolla, but also for N9xx series.

Last edited by nieldk; 2015-07-08 at 14:47.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
fresh fish to the CEO grinder...Ari Jaaksi. where are you?!

hurmula was visible. mark was vocal and sounded more professional... Tomi showed up in a pink suit never to be seen again...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

I don't see any problem.

I guess money well spent:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...startup#/story

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Thats it.

In my honest opinion they are leaving every current contribitor behind, and this is, I believe, a step further towards closed source.

Leaving the ship, wiith that announcement I am afraid

http://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/...2015_FINAL.PDF
I don't know how you reached such conclusion. This is merely a reorganizing the company in a way that allows SW and HW parts to operate more independently and concentrate on their strong points instead of trying to do everything within single company. From agility point of view I think it's a good move as there seems to be a need to recruit more people and this way it should reduce the "administrative cost" in regard to increased workforce.

This should also mean that there will be Jolla branded devices in the future. Which is a good thing IMO.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
I don't see any problem.

I guess money well spent:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...startup#/story
I hope so. But this is what happened with Nokia isnt it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I don't know how you reached such conclusion. This is merely a reorganizing the company in a way that allows SW and HW parts to operate more independently and concentrate on their strong points instead of trying to do everything within single company. From agility point of view I think it's a good move as there seems to be a need to recruit more people and this way it should reduce the "administrative cost" in regard to increased workforce.

This should also mean that there will be Jolla branded devices in the future. Which is a good thing IMO.
I am not so sure. But I hope you are right.
The 'licening' SailfishOS is what mainly sounds worrying.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
maybe jolla just want cheat the system by licencing it to them self. most componies doing this with brands. just a power play!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
maybe jolla just want cheat the system by licencing it to them self. most componies doing this with brands.
I guess the next weeks will tell.
But this does worry me.

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Idea of generating income from licensing deals has been there since from the beginning. On that part nothing has changed AFAIK.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Idea of generating income from licensing deals has been there since from the beginning. On that part nothing has changed AFAIK.
How do you see that proceed, without more closed blobls ?
As it might not be impossible, it is for sure troublesome.

Considering the current history, this is not promising for the future if you ask me. Sadly.

Closed Thread