^^ seems thats the only way which i didn want !! neways atleast i got 9 desktops to show off !! currently using only 3

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Maidstone, UK
Many thanks, matan. I now have 9 desktops. I just wish we could have them in a 3x3 grid, but this is a good start.

I would definitely recommend that anyone who wishes to do this follows matan's instructions at http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/repo/9desktops.html

More than four views
One of the features of modified hildon desktop is increasing the number of desktops (called "views" henceforth).

There are a few issues to consider:

* hildon-home also limits the number of desktops to 4. If you want to be able to select the background image of all nine desktops, you need a modified hildon-home as well. A package of this is available here. It cannot be installed by the application manager, but only from the command line. Simple instruction for doing this are: make sure the package rootsh is installed and run the following commands in xterm:

sudo gainroot
cd /home/user/MyDocs
wget http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n90...+0m5_armel.deb
dpkg -i hildon-home_0.3.58+0m5_armel.deb

* Default background is taken from themes, but themes only define four background.
* Transition from 4 to more than 4 views might corrupt the cache. Background are cached in /home/user/.backgrounds/. If there are problems such as blank background, removing all files in this directory and rebooting to force recaching might help.
* The GUI for selecting active views only shows 1-5, so if you want to enable/disable views 6-9, you need to use the command line. Example:

gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list --list-type int [1,2,3,4,5,6]

* There are reported issues with GUI for selecting background images. I use the command line. Example:

gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/5/bg-image -t string /home/user/MyDocs/.images/image.jpg

* Current view can be changed by changing the gconf key /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/current. This (together with keyboard-shortcuts, for example, allows using some keys for jumping more than one view up or down. Example:

gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/current -t int 7

Alternative way for priming the cache
Running this list of commads should get you nine working views with nine backgrounds. After that you should be able to set the wanted number of views and their backgrounds:

cd /home/user/MyDocs
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do wget http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n900/backgrounds/$i.png ; done
gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list --list-type int [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/$i/bg-image -t string /home/user/MyDocs/$i.png ; done
I'm thinking about writing a script to make it all a bit easier, but it might take me a while.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Zealand
Is this working in PR1.2?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by GEONXT View Post
Is this working in PR1.2?
Yes. Working great.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I got 6 Desktops. But still I have to manually copy background->4.png manually to /home/user/.backgrounds/ to make my Desktops not show black...

even if i try this sh script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/user/MyDocs
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do wget http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n900/backgrounds/$i.png ; done
gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list --list-type int [1,2,3,4,5,6]
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/$i/bg-image -t string /home/user/MyDocs/$i.png ; done
Background on Desktop 5 + 6 are black....
What am I doing wrong here?

thx

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
The background images are cached in
/home/user/.backgrounds. You can clear this
cache and than reboot.

regards
nicolai

if you mean deletion of the file i already tried. doesn't work

if I choose a picture Series with 6 desktop wallpapers
and matching .desktop file like this:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Background Image
Name=6er Splat
Hidden=true

X-File1=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/splat_6_screens_01.png
X-File2=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/splat_6_screens_02.png
X-File3=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/splat_6_screens_03.png
X-File4=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/splat_6_screens_04.png
X-File5=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/splat_6_screens_05.png
X-File6=/home/user/MyDocs/.images/splat_6_screens_06.png

X-Order=01
it only copies the first 4 wallpapers to /home/user/.backgrounds
so Desktop 5 + 6 stays black until i manually copy the missing files to /home/user/.backgrounds...

Same if I try with 6 Desktop theme... If you wanna try, have a look in the appmanager. You'll find my first Theme "NightShift's 6 desktops Goldrush" in there...

I ran
dpkg -i hildon-home_0.3.58+0m5_armel.deb
and i got a warning that its being downgraded from 0.3.66 to 0.3.58

So is it a good thing or bad?

but i was able to get it working and now have 5 screens

Last edited by nitro99; 2010-07-24 at 13:37.

i also tried http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n90...+0m5_armel.deb

but it the wallpaper gui doesn't show any entry...

what are the actual files i need to install to get more then 4 Desktops with backgrounds?

And is there a way to automatically set wallpapers at all Desktops that come with a theme... ex. installing a theme that comes with 6 wallpapers for 6 Desktops... or image series that comes with a 6 image .desktop file?

Hey Matan,

Perhaps you can implement the fix for glitches when getting an incoming call in your modified-hildon-desktop..

Discussed here;
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54556&page=11

Really like it, running with 5 home views