Active Topics

Hi folks.

I use a pair of these with my Jolla.

While these are wonderful IEMs, they have high resistance and my Jolla won't drive them very well.

Does anyone know where in the Sailfish filesystem I may be able to tweak the maximum volume? (I understand the risk with regards to frying the audio pipeline).

Thanks!

Tom

Last edited by TomMettam; 2013-12-27 at 11:07.

I have the same problem and i am using the FiiO Fujiyama E06 headphone amplifier. The sound levels are high enough for me and the sound is very good now.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by TomMettam View Post
Does anyone know where in the Sailfish filesystem I may be able to tweak the maximum volume? (I understand the risk with regards to frying the audio pipeline).
Hi Tom,

You can scale the audio level up using pactl, first you'll need to work out the sink (audio destination) name for your bluetooth device. You can do this by running:

Code:
pactl list | grep bluez_sink
This should help find something of the form "bluez_sink.00_00_00_00_00_00" (where 00_00_00_00_00_00 is your bluetooth address).

Once you know what this is you can scale the volume by running:

Code:
pactl set-sink-volume bluez_sink.00_00_00_00_00_00 2.0
Where 2.0 is the increased volume level.

This can also be carried out with the main audio sink (sink.primary) to increase the volume from the phone speaker, I'm not sure I'd recommend it though for fear of doing some damage.

I'm not certain how long the change will last (I've only tested it quickly as an experiment), I expect it'll at least get reset when restarting the phone, so you might want to set up a little script to do this and then create a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications to run that script (see the existing .desktop files for an example of how these work). That way you can have a little launcher icon trigger it for you.

Also, you probably want to test values with the headphones away from your ears so you can get a feel for the scale without accidentally deafening yourself .

Hope that helps .

The Following User Says Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
You can scale the audio level up using pactl, first you'll need to work out the sink (audio destination) name for your bluetooth device.
Thanks for this advice, but these aren't bluetooth, they're wired - i'll take a look at pactl and see what I can work out.

Cheers!

Tom

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by TomMettam View Post
Thanks for this advice, but these aren't bluetooth, they're wired - i'll take a look at pactl and see what I can work out.

Cheers!

Tom
In that case you might have to use sink.primary; this does handle the output to the 3.5mm socket as well as the main speaker, I'm not sure if there's an individual sink that only goes to the headphones (if there is that'd be a better option). If you do go down this route I'd recommend being careful, and being very aware that any damage will be outside warranty .

Originally Posted by Elleo
In that case you might have to use sink.primary; this does handle the output to the 3.5mm socket as well as the main speaker, I'm not sure if there's an individual sink that only goes to the headphones (if there is that'd be a better option). If you do go down this route I'd recommend being careful, and being very aware that any damage will be outside warranty .
I'm going to be testing sink.primary at a value of 1.5 which gives a decent enough increase.

If anything catches fire, I'll be sure to run around in circles screaming.

For others, this works nicely, but with above warning/caveat that it may cause your device to exceed recommended voltages and/or explode in an impressive fountain of fire:

Code:
pactl set-sink-volume sink.primary 1.5

Last edited by TomMettam; 2013-12-27 at 13:06.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
I think this will cause digital clipping.

What you have to do is set the volume of the actual "soundchip" to a higher value. These values are defined in an alsa ucm file under:

/system/etc/snd_soc_msm/snd_soc_msm_Sitar

you have to search for:

Code:
SectionDevice
	Name "Headphones"
        Comment "Headset Rx device"

EnableSequence
                'SLIM_0_RX Channels':0:Two
                'RX2 MIX1 INP1':0:RX1
                'RX3 MIX1 INP1':0:RX2
                'DAC4 MUX':0:ON
                'HPHL Volume':1:93 <-- default value is 50 here
                'HPHR Volume':1:93 <-- default value is 50 here
                'RX2 Digital Volume':1:68
                'RX3 Digital Volume':1:68
        EndSequence

DisableSequence
               	'RX2 MIX1 INP1':0:ZERO
                'RX3 MIX1 INP1':0:ZERO
                'DAC4 MUX':0:ZERO
                'HPHL Volume':1:0
                'HPHR Volume':1:0
        EndSequence
Please take under advice that " <-- default value is 50 here" IS A COMMENT FROM ME AND DOES NOT BELONG IN THAT FILE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post: