The good:
hardware keyboard
sturdiness
still working
maemo

The bad:
dated browser
old kernel (probably unsave)

Still use the Phone as everyday device. I manage to drop it at least once a month on concrete. So the sturdiness is a big plus. I do not browse the web alot with the phone but when I do its not the speed thats a problem but webpages not loading correctly.
I know in the long run a new phone is needed but since I need a physical keyboard the options are limited (maybe blackberry). but new phones are way to large.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sirvival For This Useful Post:
Hi mates

How do you recon, as a galaxy s6 user, is there a good chance of me using n900 these days? I do browse webpages, but only forums and mobile pages. Will n900 deliver?

Also i do.like to watch yt in 480p, how this is working on maemo? I do not play any games at all, i am kind of geek and always wanted to have a n900.

Btw ive already bought the unit in a perfect condition ("unused"), so anyway ill give it a try.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soki For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
No idea about S6, but I have an S4 (gift).

The S4 has better resources than N900 (RAM and CPU) and with CM13, performs way better than it did when I got it.

However, N900 is still my primary device. I'm learning Python at the moment, and have tried Kivy and QPython on Android . . . and the experience is not comparable to N900 (although running older python)

YT - there is cutetube2, and you may or may not enjoy using it.
Web pages - most people report that the default browser (MicroB) is no longer good for their needs. Incidentally, it still works great for many of the pages that *I* browse.

So yes, N900 is really old device now. No escaping that. But it still kicks ***
And the HWKBD does a good job of compensating for the N900's flaws - typing on Android with or without Swipe just doesn't compare. Trying to use terminal type applications (connectbot, termux, irssi) on the Android VKBD is just painful, at least for me.

Since you already bought it - use it, and tell us how you find the experience . . . There's nothing wrong with not enjoying it - you can just sell it to someone that likes it better

I wouldn't mind obtaining a third one

Last edited by sicelo; 2017-05-04 at 08:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much for you opinion
I will get it,probably, in few days, sure ill post my experience with the device

I am finding all new devices to be boring - same shapes, almost same oses, same aps :/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soki For This Useful Post:
So i reived the unit today and omg the fully working xterm etc. Amazing.

It feels dated for sure but for my needs its fine

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
I just came back to my precious Monster N900 after 3 and half year ditching it and working on some Modifications on it

Comparing to Android and other Tech devices I still see this device is still on track even though it is 2009 product.

Love it as my personal phone (Secondary) cause I am relaying on it for Work

The main reason I loved this device cause it's introduced me to Linux world and am using Ubuntu on my laptop and still learning.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to salahkhani For This Useful Post:
(Translated in Google)

Hi

I currently use my N900 as HTTP server (local), DLNA server, FTP server (local and as DVI), WiFi intruder scanner (with low battery and intruder warning via Telegram)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daza For This Useful Post:
I am still using my N900 as everyday phone.
Lately synchronisation with my outlook mailbox does not work
but I am not sure if this is a fault of the IT at work.

The handy is not overclocked or changed in any way.

Browsing websites is slow now and many websites do not show
up at all.
maps.ovi.com is down so I cannot use the maps program, it searches
endlessly - if anybody knows where I can edit that in /etc or somewhere else that would be a plus.

So maybe the N900 will end it's life as first phone if nobody comes
up with a solution for maps, webbrowsing, but maybe it will have a
2nd life as the heart of some robot?
Where was that development environment for Maemo?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Lately synchronisation with my outlook mailbox does not work
but I am not sure if this is a fault of the IT at work.
Maybe syslog can show you what the problem is - otherwise for me, outlook.com email syncs just fine, as well as hosted Office 365. The only one I cannot use is the internal outlook exchange mailbox due to provisioning (admin permissions). Since it sounds like yours worked before, I doubt that is your problem. Syslog is your friend.

Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
maps.ovi.com is down so I cannot use the maps program, it searches
endlessly - if anybody knows where I can edit that in /etc or somewhere else that would be a plus.
you never had the maps? because yes N900 cannot download maps anymore. One workaround that worked the last time I checked was to use Ovi Suite on a Windows pc to get the maps. I do not know if you can still get Ovi Suite, and if it still works. You can try.

And of course there are open source map applications, modrana being the favorite of most existing N900 users

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Maybe syslog can show you what the problem is - otherwise for me, outlook.com email syncs just fine, as well as hosted Office 365. The only one I cannot use is the internal outlook exchange mailbox due to provisioning (admin permissions). Since it sounds like yours worked before, I doubt that is your problem. Syslog is your friend.
Afaics I have to install syslog first, correct?

Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
you never had the maps? because yes N900 cannot download maps anymore. One workaround that worked the last time I checked was to use Ovi Suite on a Windows pc to get the maps. I do not know if you can still get Ovi Suite, and if it still works. You can try.

And of course there are open source map applications, modrana being the favorite of most existing N900 users
I had the maps and it was working as any navigation aid.
But since ovi-maps is down the application does not even start.
What I need would be the knowledge where I can change
the entry of maps.ovi.com to something else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post: