After having the same problem and local Nokia care could not fix it I saw this solution here.

General I do not think the Hammer is the solution but I fix my problem the following way.

I put a small piece of paper under the 6 contacts for the sim card to force them pushing harder against the sim card and it fixed the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to khr For This Useful Post:
Could everybody, who has possible solution for this problem post photos of what they've done? So others could see that and try it correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to carlos2005 For This Useful Post:
Sorry I have no pictures and not willing to remove the battery as I have to fix the problem then again,

But try to explain it better:

When my phone started to had the problem I saw that after replacing battery it did not asked me for the SIM card code.

After removing and inserting sim card again it asked for the number but after the last digit and ok it took a very long time to show the error message.

Next step was to push the 6 connectors a little bit up with a piece of paper I put under the connectors. Insert SIM card and battery and the phone started normal and showed the network connection. After a while I lost data connection which came back.

Shaking the phone and the error came back.

So I removed the battery again and but a piece of tissue paper first on the place of the outer 3 connectors that the battery is pushing the sim card harder against the connectors but still same issue.

I move the piece of tissue to the inner connectors and insert battery again and since this the error is gone and the phone works since this without problems.

The problem seems to be the connector which connect to the SIM card. All 6 seem to need a good connection. As your problem may be another connector as mine you just have to try.

The Following User Says Thank You to khr For This Useful Post:
i used to put a paper between the buttery and the sim card then start my mobile , it worked with me

so i removed the paper and pushed the phone pins of the sim to be sure tht it'll connect with the sim and started ma mobile it worked too thnx to ALLAH

lol, is it just me or did everyone else who read from the start get squirmish after he stated 1 x hammer... I was half expecting to see a smashed up n900 ... hence telephony function disabled title would be fitting. thankfully the poster didn't do such thing

then again, if you can't fix it with a hammer... it's an electrical problem

The Following User Says Thank You to fffffred For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
So far, the paper-between-battery-and-SIM trick is working for me. Remove paper = error, add paper back = no error.
I have used a thin silicone pad on the SIM holder frame, and it works for me.
If someone bought an IKEA furniture door or drawer, them come with small silicone bumpers. I didn't used the bumpers but the silicone sheet around the bumpers, about 0.5mm thick, easy to apply because it is self-adhesive.

Thanks John to explain that yo can solve the problem WITH the paper and reproduce it WITHOUT the paper, this is real science! not joking.

final words: I'm not sure that the problem is in the SIM contacts, may be anywhere in the board, but the SIM metal frame is a good place to press the board, changing the shape, and restoring the contact.

Ok, so the solution was a piece of paper. After hours of troubleshooting, reading dead-end threads, flashing the N900 and turning it into a brick, I finally came across this post, and it saved (whatever is left of) my day. I had even spent quite some time shopping for a new phone when the paper-trick came to my attention. A piece of paper between the battery and sim where able to bring telephony back to my phone(!) Anyone searching for a solution for "Telephony Function Disabled" will hopefully start looking at this thread. And hopefully you try paper before you choose the hammer. (Well, I never tried the hammer-trick, but it seems to me to be even more scary than flashing the thing.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrLeopold For This Useful Post:
I tried your trick dude , its not working my friend, do you have any other idea please..

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ india
[Temporary solved]
(sorry for improper english)

Finally 2 days back iam also facing the problem **Telephony functions disabled**,this problem occurred 6 months before but not major some times solved by rebooting.But now the message Telephony functions disabled comes & not working even after reboot.iam surely know it was sim card slot probem due to loosely soldered or loose contacts on pins...ULTIMATELY IT WAS NOKIA'S DESIGN FAULT....

Because 5 years back i was used nokia 1122 model that model also this same problem,that was solved by an idea(placing a unused sim card in between battery & sim card holder for providing excess pressure to sim card holder) permanently.

So i decided to do that method by placing one unused sim card between battery & holder.But the problem occured again after 5 minutes when the keyboard opened or any shake in the phone. i decided that pesure is not enough so i placed another sim(now 2 sims in between battery & holder) by this bottom right corner of back cover slightly unclosed(not major)....

Now the problem solved iam using my n900 last two days without problem.i was opened keyboard so many times & shaked the phone hardly & changed the battery several times, now that problem not occurred(but need some long time test).iam now busy with work, after a week i will try some solderings in sim card holder with the help of my mobile technician friend & will post the result.In between who have this problem may try this method & post the result....

i mentioned nokia design problem because sim card holder is directly placed below the battery without any protective layer covered this will result heating & cooling on sim card holder,due to this method the solder or contacts may get loose or some moisture forming( we know other phones also equipped this method but the solder material or contacts pins maybe better quality than nokia & also iam not blamed all nokia models) Now a days some phones have side removable sim card holder without any direct contact with battery heat....

And iam sure my next phone will not be an nokia phone.I LOVE MY N900 FOR..
1-BETTER HARDWARE(KEYBOARD,STYLUS,IR,KICK STAND,PIXEL RATIO,LENS COVER ,32GB,FM TRANSMITTER)
2-MAEMO OS
3-*TALENTED & DEDICATED & HELPABLE COMMUNITY*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ammuvi For This Useful Post:
Hi Dude,

Is it working gr8 now...?????? I wanted to know what solution needs to be applied, your logical solution below convincing me.

Originally Posted by ammuvi View Post
[Temporary solved]
(sorry for improper english)

Finally 2 days back iam also facing the problem **Telephony functions disabled**,this problem occurred 6 months before but not major some times solved by rebooting.But now the message Telephony functions disabled comes & not working even after reboot.iam surely know it was sim card slot probem due to loosely soldered or loose contacts on pins...ULTIMATELY IT WAS NOKIA'S DESIGN FAULT....

Because 5 years back i was used nokia 1122 model that model also this same problem,that was solved by an idea(placing a unused sim card in between battery & sim card holder for providing excess pressure to sim card holder) permanently.

So i decided to do that method by placing one unused sim card between battery & holder.But the problem occured again after 5 minutes when the keyboard opened or any shake in the phone. i decided that pesure is not enough so i placed another sim(now 2 sims in between battery & holder) by this bottom right corner of back cover slightly unclosed(not major)....

Now the problem solved iam using my n900 last two days without problem.i was opened keyboard so many times & shaked the phone hardly & changed the battery several times, now that problem not occurred(but need some long time test).iam now busy with work, after a week i will try some solderings in sim card holder with the help of my mobile technician friend & will post the result.In between who have this problem may try this method & post the result....

i mentioned nokia design problem because sim card holder is directly placed below the battery without any protective layer covered this will result heating & cooling on sim card holder,due to this method the solder or contacts may get loose or some moisture forming( we know other phones also equipped this method but the solder material or contacts pins maybe better quality than nokia & also iam not blamed all nokia models) Now a days some phones have side removable sim card holder without any direct contact with battery heat....

And iam sure my next phone will not be an nokia phone.I LOVE MY N900 FOR..
1-BETTER HARDWARE(KEYBOARD,STYLUS,IR,KICK STAND,PIXEL RATIO,LENS COVER ,32GB,FM TRANSMITTER)
2-MAEMO OS
3-*TALENTED & DEDICATED & HELPABLE COMMUNITY*