Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Isn't the 18th to be a little late? Considering that the are giving their big reveal only 3days after, their press office are going to be very busy that week and by the time they pick up the questionnaire they would have answered half of the questions in the announcement.
I don't mind closing the list as soon as possible. There really was more than enough time to add questions.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
other question: in future will have jolla os open development? (like maemo5 on gitorious) or will be development closed behind the door? (like android)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I think it's a mixed question. Jolla combines open core (Mer) with their closed components (UI at least, and let's hope as little applications as possible). They already assured that they are going to be involved in Mer's open development, and they see it as a benefit for everyone. Their closed part I guess will remain closed (as in source and is in development). Unless they'll open things up later. So you better rephrase the question to target it more specifically.

Something like: are you planning to open up your closed components at some later point (as in open source and open development)?

But I doubt they can answer it now.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I don't mind closing the list as soon as possible. There really was more than enough time to add questions.
There certainly has been, it would be nice if we had the chance to get even just a tiny iota of exclusive info before the slush announcement.

I do remember adding 3 of my own questions to the list (device influence, web browser capability and 1 other). Only 1 remains now after the multiple edits. It still would be nice to have an answer, but I guess others will need to agree before the doc is closed?

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
I trimmed and merged various duplicates in the questions list and broke it into more sections. Please review it and add whatever else is needed.

I don't think we need a separate list with concerns to be mailed to Jolla, since it's too premature. Questions list would be enough (we can maintain that concerns list for the future of course).

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
My main concern with any Nokia and its Derivatives: will it be supported? Nokia has this disease of ditching.
N900 was ditched within few months. N9 was born almost doomed.

Not just that, Nokia Lumia 900 is also already dead. (Not that i care for Lumia's)

Jolla having roots with Nokia, should break away from this malaise and make a commitment to support the device/OS they release.

Take for example: Galaxy Nexus or Iphone 3gs or the Blackberry's. These are more or less still supported; updates released.

The idea is to focus. Release a great hardware and good software and then focus on improving software, each iteration. (although this didn't work with Playbook so far). And Please Release hardware that is not outdated even before the release.

Apologies for my rant. But i love both my N900 and N9. The way one loves a challenged kid.

Looking forward eagerly to what is in store!!! Jolla..come hit me with your best!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macexplorer For This Useful Post:
Support term question is already in the list.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Isn't the 18th to be a little late? Considering that the are giving their big reveal only 3days after, their press office are going to be very busy that week and by the time they pick up the questionnaire they would have answered half of the questions in the announcement.
*UPDATE*
My prior post was wrong, the date should've been 15/11 630pm AustEST....

Yes even the 15th is, they were going to get back to us with some answers many wks ago, I forgot to chase them up, nor should I have to, it appears to have fallen totally off their radar.
I think there's quite a few intelligent qn/ideas/concerns etc. still missing, which is why I think it's a good idea to get some input from the community's most clued-up users for at least a few more days.
Even if the 15th isn't enough time for them to absorb & get back to us before Slush, at least Slush will probably cover a large chunk of what's been raised...
And anything that isn't, well hopefully they can address all or some of that in the proceeding days/weeks....
I guess we could forget extensions & make 15/11 630pm AustEST the absolute deadline for final draughts to be sent, or possibly allow for just 1 more day i.e. 16/11 630pm AustEST?

Originally Posted by pali View Post
other question: in future will have jolla os open development? (like maemo5 on gitorious) or will be development closed behind the door? (like android)
Please put this sort of stuff in the relevant doc(s) (see OP), it may have already been raised, so make sure it isn't already there, TY.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I trimmed and merged various duplicates in the questions list and broke it into more sections. Please review it and add whatever else is needed.
I don't think we need a separate list with concerns to be mailed to Jolla, since it's too premature. Questions list would be enough (we can maintain that concerns list for the future of course).
Thanks for that! I think you might be right on the concerns/criticisms doc, that could be left for the days/wks after Slush.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-13 at 05:17. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Why not just send it to them after the 21st? Let Slush finish, edit away questions that are answered and then get some critical questions in...

Quality vs Quantity is always better...We don't want them to reply oh see Slush for this and that hence leaving critical questions unanswered...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yeah that's a good point, it would've been good to get at least some answers before the event, but we may have left our run too late.
I'm of two minds on that really, interested to hear what others think....

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open