Is it possible to load a different OS on the N810? Perhaps a different version of Linux? Please explain how or why not I'm a beginner at this stuff.

Yeah-- I would like to know the same thing.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I usually don't say anything and just provide an answer or a link to an answer, but... You guys really need to look around on the site and do some searches. There are tons of conversations about this subject.

Here's the latest on how to install KDE for example (right from the front page of ITT):

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14680

Tim

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I usually don't say anything and just provide an answer or a link to an answer, but... You guys really need to look around on the site and do some searches. There are tons of conversations about this subject.

Here's the latest on how to install KDE for example (right from the front page of ITT):

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14680

Tim
Nitpicking:

Penguinbait's (bodaciously excellent) KDE port isn't exactly a different operating system, but rather a different windowing environment. A KDE-ified Itablet still runs Nokia's kernel.

People are, however, very busy getting Debian on the Itablet; that would definitely qualify as a different operating system.

Personally, I've been running Vista on my N800 for the last six months. I'm just not telling anyone how I did it.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I'm just not telling anyone how I did it.
Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
KDE is basically a different desktop environment that can be run via the stock tablet OS. There are also threads about Fedora Core 8 and Debian OS options that are operational, however they are in very early "experimental" stages at this point. If you're a linux beginner, then it's probably not something you'll want to touch. The real question is "what are you after?" A different look/feel/navigation? Different/specific applications? Experimenting/tinkering?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Personally, I've been running Vista on my N800 for the last six months. I'm just not telling anyone how I did it.
Vista on an N800 time to get the Ban Hammer!

Kidding!

Aren't some people running Poky (Pokey, Pokie, something like that?) on ITs?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Poky, GPE and Mamona are all still in the experimental stages. All less experimental than Debian or Fedora at the moment; but I suspect that Debian & Fedora will soon overtake them due to seeming stagnation on all but Mamona (and even they've gone quiet)

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded.

I have no gripe with Maemo. I think it's a spectacular OS. However, I'm disappointed with the number of applications I can use with it.

Nokia has come up with a dynamite device (n810), a truly spectacular product, but has left it in the lurch. At some point we'll hear something about "disappointing sales," which will be 100% attributable to not having an office suite (or at least a word processor) and other essentials.

My n810 is not a gizmo, it's not a toy, and it's not a PDA. it's a serious computer. Nokia should get serious about it and pay some of you brilliant people to write some serious software.

Enough of my ranting: A general-purpose Linux OS would perhaps enable me to use Open Office and some of my chess database and playing programs. If this were to happen I'd never be without my n810.

Angelo

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
KDE is basically a different desktop environment that can be run via the stock tablet OS. There are also threads about Fedora Core 8 and Debian OS options that are operational, however they are in very early "experimental" stages at this point. If you're a linux beginner, then it's probably not something you'll want to touch. The real question is "what are you after?" A different look/feel/navigation? Different/specific applications? Experimenting/tinkering?