Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
I read an article recently (I can't remember where, unfortunately) about an alarm clock that works with a wireless wristband accelerometer. You set a 1/2-hour window for the alarm to go off, and when it first senses movement during that window it sounds the alarm. The idea is that it's easier to wake up if you aren't in a deep sleep, and you don't move when you're in a deep sleep.
I think this is a great idea, but I don't want to shell out the money for the clock when my N800 should be capable of doing the same thing, as long as I can find a suitable accelerometer. Is anyone interested in this? Any ideas for a bluetooth accelerometer? I suppose you could strap a Wii-mote to your wrist, but that seems a bit big .

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Great idea!
However I rarely use an alarm clock, and my wife is motionless for hours
PLEASE use the Wiki

I found plans/schematics for a small bluetooth accelerometer here: http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/...sources/btacc/. I might look into making this and trying it out.

Lifehacker had a story today about an app for a Nokia mobile phone that uses the microphone to estimate your sleep cycles and do just what you're describing (but based on sound data rather than movement data). It's called HappyWakeUp.

It would be groovy if someone make it work on the N800, since my N800 sits on the night stand next to the bed anyway.

Joe

Originally Posted by pope523 View Post
Lifehacker had a story today about an app for a Nokia mobile phone that uses the microphone to estimate your sleep cycles and do just what you're describing (but based on sound data rather than movement data). It's called HappyWakeUp.

It would be groovy if someone make it work on the N800, since my N800 sits on the night stand next to the bed anyway.

Joe
Are you sure it was on Lifehacker? I can't seem to find the story you're referencing. Sounds like a good idea, but only if you're the only one in the bedroom.

Maybe it wasn't Lifehacker. It could have been Slashdot or something else.

Here's the article that it linked to, in any case.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/cell_...s_to_you_sleep

The Following User Says Thank You to pope523 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Great idea!
However I rarely use an alarm clock, and my wife is motionless for hours
Arg... you just fed me a great line for a joke but I already misfired once...

Guys, any news about this topic? I'm seriously thinking about writing python script for this purpose... there is easy project for maemo - giving you high level manipulation interface for multimedia. So, theoretically, you can monitor sound level from N800/N810 microphone and log it somewhere, or trigger alarm in a time window, like HappyWakeUp does.

But even thought maemo's easy package is under GPL 2.1 license, I couldn't find any source codes of it. And it gives you API for writing sound to disk, not to analyze it at the same time... May be there are other programs, packages that can do that?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Arg... you just fed me a great line for a joke but I already misfired once...
I used to have that problem too...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Two points:

First off, rather than trying to build another clock/alarm wake up program, I suggest working out this feature and then contributing it towards ciroip's awesome FlipClock app (it's written in Python so adding extra stuff isn't very hard); I think he's still working on it, though he swears about once a day that he's not a programmer and is playing around with it more than anything else. Still a good app though with lots of room for additions/enhancements.
Secondly, as far as audio checks go, I built an app in C that reads the input level of the microphone and can perform tasks based on what that level is (i.e. how much noise the mic pics up), but it's based on alsa libraries and I don't remember if Maemo actually utilizes Alsa or not... I know there's some old ESD implementation, but I don't know if ALSA is underlying that, or? Of course if there was a way to do it from python itself that might be a better solution, but I'm not a big python guy... programmer, yes, python, not so familiar with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:

Tags
accelerometer, alarm clock, bluetooth