Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
So far I've understood that you can request policy restricted functionality from Nokia for your application, and they provide it in a certificate. I do not know how to request one though...
I see, that's good to know. I'm a bit worried how that would work with an open source application though, ie. can you include the certificate in the sources.

But thanks, I'll try investigating that possibility.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I see, that's good to know. I'm a bit worried how that would work with an open source application though, ie. can you include the certificate in the sources.

But thanks, I'll try investigating that possibility.
Hi again. I seached around and it seems I came to my previous conclusion remembering this discussion about Bedside clock.

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.ph...bedside&page=3

See the upmost message by Jaffa. I'd suppose the flight-mode should be similar permission provided by Nokia Store.
If it is certificate based as I suspect it will be, I think it shouldn't be too hard to implement one on GPL software just technically. But of course it just wouldn't work when someone made changes to the code.
Hopefully open kernel comes available soon for us less experienced with linux, which should cure this problem altogether (and one might argue bring a million security woes along with it, of course).

Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Hi again. I seached around and it seems I came to my previous conclusion remembering this discussion about Bedside clock.

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.ph...bedside&page=3

See the upmost message by Jaffa. I'd suppose the flight-mode should be similar permission provided by Nokia Store.
Thanks! I took a look at the Bedside clock's sources, and its aegis manifest doesn't list any extra credentials that would be needed. So it doesn't seem to require the "forbidden" credentials that are needed for Flight mode. Furthermore that discussion is from july mostly, and it's my understanding the security framework has been tightened since - so the discussion might not be relevant anymore, but the sources are and I didn't see it requesting extra credentials .

Of course I unfortunately too little about the security framework so I might have missed something.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I've now researched this issue further, and am convinced it is currently impossible due to the security policy to have Flight mode or power saving mode settings.

I've made a support request to Nokia about this, but I doubt anything is going to change without a lot of users complaining to Nokia. If even then.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
This support request, was it an enhancement request via the bug-tracker?
Might be best to do it that way....
Then also mention it in the bug-tracker thread, so as to get more people concerned & voting.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-05 at 13:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
I considered using the bug tracker, but:

1) there's already a more general discussion there about security policy
2) it's not exactly a bug but works as designed. I didn't know it's also for feature requests.

And as I happened to have 2 free support tickets I decided to try it this way. Seemed like the more proper approach.

Maybe bug tracker would have been better for the visibility.

ProfileMatic v1.1.0 is now downloadable from Nokia Store!

New in v1.1.0:
  • Application can be closed and rules are still active
  • Following rules can be disabled from application menu

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I considered using the bug tracker, but:

1) there's already a more general discussion there about security policy
2) it's not exactly a bug but works as designed. I didn't know it's also for feature requests.

And as I happened to have 2 free support tickets I decided to try it this way. Seemed like the more proper approach.

Maybe bug tracker would have been better for the visibility.
Fair enough, can't hurt to do all three I guess, if anything it should increase visibility
So long as you've explained that you've doubled-up, as you're not sure where the single-best place is.

Since it's such a long time without update, I'm putting out a beta of the upcoming version for those interested:

<removed>

This version has:
- end time
- default rule
- location conditions by cell id
- some UI tweaks
- (and much code refactoring that user doesn't care about)

I haven't done extensive testing yet, so use at your own risk etc. It should work as intended, but the UI needs still work and polishing. If you have installed ProfileMatic from Nokia Store, you must first uninstall before installing this version.

EDIT: oh forgot to mention, this version has setting flight mode support too. But you need open mode kernel and some tweaking to activate it. I can provide instructions if someone wants to try. I have not tested it myself.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-01-15 at 19:45.

And on the same day I pull out the beta... the reason being that on my tests I found that matching by cell id is not very practical. There's just too many cell ids flying around in any one spot - it's confusing and not practical for users to make conditions based on those.

I will do a rewrite using Qt Mobility's geo location APIs.

If you downloaded the beta, you should not use the Location condition as it most likely won't be supported in the released version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: