Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's not going to be that easy. Again, sorry I can't divulge details but you will very likely have to have ANY device with webcam flip issue replaced outright. Repair options are limited at this time to my knowledge.
I believe you. My concern is whether the repair facility will deal with it properly (or at all), if this issue isn't on their radar yet. Realistically, I don't imagine my input into the process will count for much. "But this anonymous Nokia guy on the Internet told me..." Time will tell, I suppose.

A few more things.

First, for anyone who purchases the N800 in the USA but live outside (yes I mean you Canada), the Nokia Warranty is useless without a US mailing address. No use in suggesting you will cover any additional mailing costs they dont care.

Secondly, the Nokia USA reps I have been dealing with state that there haven't been any reported incidents of the webcam being flawed. So I guess anyone here with the problem is imagining it.

So back to my original question. Any quick fix?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Don't be discouraged by the run around. Tell the reps you are reporting the defect. If that response you mentioned was accurate that's stupifying.

I stick with what I've been saying: the device needs to be replaced. The program in Finland is very aware of the issue.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
1-888-NOKIA-2U gave me the same line as dwoolley: no known issues with the webcam. I will continue to press my case, except we're STILL waiting for my unit to show up in the repair database, more than one week after the facility signed for my Express Mail delivery. I returned it for the kickstand repair, but they can't add to the trouble ticket until the unit gets logged in (assuming it ever does).

If I had the whole purchase to do over again, I would absolutely include the CompUSA extended warranty for in-store exchange. This "hurry up and wait" is getting old...

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Resurrecting an old thread here...

I just ordered two new N800 for the family, and one of them also has the camera switch problem, so apparently Nokia has not completely corrected the manufacturing problem yet. That unit is made in Finland.

I would also note that the defect does not appear to be so rare. Of course I have a limited sample, so it could just be bad luck, but of 5 N800s that went through my hands, 2 of them have the defect (the first one I bought and that last one). That is a failure rate of 40%.

Hello,

Uninstall the camera and only install the videocamera. It has camera functionality and the flip and auto start of Internet call will work consistantly. As far as I can tell it is the camera app running on Diablo that causes it and I have had no issues for two week this way. They will fix Diablo soon, just wait, it is not the best camera anyway.

Are we so sure this is just a hardware problem?

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my N800 to Diablo.

Both the Camera and Videocamera aps now invert the forward lens setting, whereas my old 2007 Camera ap didn't.

I tried uninstalling both, and reinstalled the videocamera ap - it still inverts. Grrrrr...

As an additional note, I just installed the Knips camera ap and the camera image is correct, while Camera and Videocamera aps are still flipped.