Here is an interesting article for those who feel desperate after the news of the unholy union between Microsoft and Nokia:

http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/02/...ice-ecosystem/

While Nokia may not be the mainstay of MeeGo anymore, the open OS isn't going away.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dusktreader For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Who cares anymore, MeeGo is only half as bad as WP7, MeeGo, RPM p.o.s.! They should have stayed with the Debian-based Maemo, Debian, rock solid for the last decade and the decades to come, it's a shame, really sad actually that they choose the path to be a be a anonymous hw-mfg.

The Following User Says Thank You to sula For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sula View Post
Who cares anymore, MeeGo is only half as bad as WP7, MeeGo, RPM p.o.s.! They should have stayed with the Debian-based Maemo, Debian, rock solid for the last decade and the decades to come, it's a shame, really sad actually that they choose the path to be a be a anonymous hw-mfg.
Where is it half as bad? It's not even out in a final, retail version. At least WP7 got that part done.

And MeeGo was rpm based like Moblin, not deb based like Maemo.

Now... that made me sad.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Where is it half as bad? It's not even out in a final, retail version. At least WP7 got that part done.

And MeeGo was rpm based like Moblin, not deb based like Maemo.

Now... that made me sad.
It's half as bad because even if is Linux it is not based on Debian.

:-)

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA

Damn. He's got you there.
Sorry, but he does.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

If Nokia abandon Meego can they just release the latest version they have left to the public instead of never letting it see the light of day. Or would they be afraid that we would find out that they never actually did anything...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Guess I will have to inform my desktop that it's half as bad as Windows because it's Slackware instead of Ubuntu.

This just in: my desktop doesn't care what Debian fanboys think!
(It may also have mentioned something about ssh keys...)

Last edited by Benson; 2011-02-12 at 03:37.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Guess I will have to inform my desktop that it's half as bad as Windows because it's Slackware instead of Ubuntu.

This just in: my desktop doesn't care what Debian fanboys think!
(It may also have mentioned something about ssh keys...)
Sheesh! Fanboy!! Really!?, over a joke at that, well, a half-joke anyway.

Well this isn't the right time to pick a fight, I believe we will need each-other in this forum more than ever now, so I apologize to anyone I managed to offend by venting my frustration over the choices that has been made concerning Maemo/MeeGo/Nokia lately.

The only way I see Nokia recover at this stage would be for them to start to offer Android or even webOS to end users. The point being, this is not an OS thing but having decent applications available to end users.

The whole thing, sounds like there could be some big conflict of interest, CEO's should not be able to trade company shares for a period of time which would be on their financial interest, nor should mergers take place where CEO's may own stock, and the last thing, CEO's should not be allowed to sell stock at least 6months or longer before they make any decisions that would be in their financial interest, actions like resigning after they made massive financial gains and then jump the ship as to say. I would expect that some government body would monitor for these conflict of interests but would not surprise me that these people can get away with it. Share holders profits are just part of the problem why end users cannot experience technology at is full potential, e.g. bad/poor and expensive infrastructures, lack of quality software.

Android is not a necessary the solution as they also now have conflict of interests when it comes to privacy, but I do hope HP webOS can succeed where Nokia has failed, unfortunately hardware wise HP is still inferior then Nokia.

Last edited by windows7; 2011-02-12 at 13:42.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
If Nokia abandon Meego can they just release the latest version they have left to the public instead of never letting it see the light of day.
I don't think that would fit Nokia's new business plan.

Tags
intel meego, no-kia, sweaty nards