Active Topics

Originally Posted by qole View Post
techdork: I recently answered your question in the Easy Debian Diablo thread, in this post.
Thanks Qole

EDIT: @qole http://qole.org/files/debian-squeeze-m5-rootfs.tar.gz = 404 .. should be http://qole.org/files/debian-squeeze-m5-img.bz2 no?

The Following User Says Thank You to techdork For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It wasn't 404, it was 403 forbidden, because I used scp to upload it and that seems to set the wrong permissions... fixed now...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
My microSD card is really slow, so I've installed easy-debian on a new partition of the internal drive.

Here are my instructions :
Code:
sudo gainroot # on the device with rootsh, but you can use openssh too
cd /home/user
mkdir /media/mmc1/MyDocs_backup # assuming you have a mounted memory card here
cp -R MyDocs /media/mmc1/MyDocs_backup
umount MyDocs
sfdisk -d > sf
vi sf # resize first partition, then add a new one for /dev/mmcblk0p4, see an example file at the bottom of this post
sfdisk --force /dev/mmcblk0 < sf
rm ./sf
reboot

sudo gainroot
cd /home/user
umount MyDocs
mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount MyDocs
cp -R /media/mmc1/MyDocs_backup/* MyDocs/
rm -R /media/mmc1/MyDocs_backup
mkfs.ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p4
mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /debian
cd MyDocs
wget http://qole.org/files/debian-squeeze-m5-rootfs.tar.gz
cd /debian
tar xzf /home/user/MyDocs/debian-squeeze-m5-rootfs.tar.gz
rm /home/user/MyDocs/debian-squeeze-m5-rootfs.tar.gz
umount /debian
my sf file for a new ext3 partition of 3.6G:
Code:
# partition table of /dev/mmcblk0
unit: sectors

/dev/mmcblk0p1 : start=       64, size= 48952512, Id= c
/dev/mmcblk0p2 : start= 56631360, size=  4194304, Id=83
/dev/mmcblk0p3 : start= 60825664, size=  1572864, Id=82
/dev/mmcblk0p4 : start= 48952576, size=  7678784, Id=83
PS : I've wrote that just after reading titan's contribution, Thanks to him, qole and 白い熊

Last edited by Ph0b; 2009-12-19 at 13:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I'm downloading EasyDebian on Freemantle and get the message that the file downloaded is corrupted during the installation process.
The file in question is:

debian-squeeze-m5-img.bz2

and it downloads it but doesn't seem to be able to extract/mount the image due to it being corrupted.
The download location doesn't make a difference (microSD or internal) and I've tried downloading from my Mac and copying over via mass storage mode and it still says the file is damaged.
Any ideas?

Many thanks

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Doc_Raj: If you don't use the included installer, then you have to download the file, then extract the image file using bzip2, then rename the extracted file (debian-squeeze-m5-img) to debian-squeeze-m5.img.ext2.

The installer checks the md5sum of the file to make sure it downloads correctly. You should probably use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
In the spirit of "release early, release often" I have uploaded my current rootfs, with a working LXDE install. Download debian-m5-v2-rootfs.tgz and untar it (tar xzvf) into a partition or a 2GB image file (that you make using the instructions in this post).

To start LXDE, use the command "debbie xephwm5" and if LXDE loses keyboard, use "debbie xephfocus" to get the keyboard back again.

If you want the Fremantle-like theme with wide scrollbars, choose "MurrinaNightOrange" from the list of themes.

The new package with everything set up for you is coming soon, but I thought some eager testers might want to start now...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
In the spirit of "release early, release often" I have uploaded my current rootfs, with a working LXDE install. Download debian-m5-v2-rootfs.tgz and untar it (tar xzvf) into a partition or a 2GB image file (that you make using the instructions in this post).

To start LXDE, use the command "debbie xephwm5" and if LXDE loses keyboard, use "debbie xephfocus" to get the keyboard back again.

If you want the Fremantle-like theme with wide scrollbars, choose "MurrinaNightOrange" from the list of themes.

The new package with everything set up for you is coming soon, but I thought some eager testers might want to start now...
about 1000000000 thanks!!

Image file now on the server:

debian-m5-v2.img.ext2.bz2

It is 2GB now, since the N900 has a lot more space, but people have said that larger files have problems on some file systems...

Last edited by qole; 2009-12-21 at 03:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
New package in Fremantle Extras Devel, and changes pushed to the garage git repo.

I removed Maemo icons for OpenOffice and Gimp since they are unusable in Maemo, and added an icon for fixing the keyboard in LXDE if it stops working.

Last edited by qole; 2009-12-21 at 06:35. Reason: link to garage git repo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
That's really nice Qole - thanks as always.
For everybody testing, don't forget to push the cpu to the performance governor, as described here and elsewhere - might reduce your stress, too

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-12-22 at 12:53. Reason: wrong advice

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze