Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
We ref'd that already, about 9-days ago...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...80#post1460780
No way. I'm nine days late...?!.!.?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Flash sale tomorrow. Consider yourself informed.

Hate These flash sales. They are so random

stuck the latest ubuntu devel on a nexus 5, it was ****

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
stuck the latest ubuntu devel on a nexus 5, it was ****
Was Sailfish much better, though?

No they all are pretty much the same.

What differs is that google got tons of value for all kinds of customers plus IT must go 1000 java devs for every Qt dev.

honestly, not in my opinion, they were missing a ton of functionality, and but jolla imo did the core stuff well, or atleast well enough for me. everything lags on this system, maybe cause its a port but we'll see if the BQ version is more optimized.

Jolla felt like a small company had created it, the Ubuntu OS felt like when we first ran Meego on the N900, laggy as

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

http://www.codeandcommand.com/wp-con...r2-660x315.jpg

What differs is that google got tons of value for all kinds of customers plus IT must go 1000 java devs for every Qt dev.
Qt is hard man lol maybe its cause I don't know C++ as well as I do Java, but a 10 sec thing in Java takes me 15 mins in C++, I could just be a terrible programmer

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Qt is hard man lol maybe its cause I don't know C++ as well as I do Java, but a 10 sec thing in Java takes me 15 mins in C++, I could just be a terrible programmer
Actually, that's kind of the way the two languages were designed, at least at first: something that takes 10 seconds in Java does take quite a bit more time in C++. However, something that takes less than a week in C++ could take weeks in Java, and something that takes a month or more in C++ can be totally unmanageable in Java. Both C++ and Java put an emphasis on object-oriented programming and templates, concepts which support programming-in-the-large; however, C++ more closely follows C's policy of allowing the programmer a wide latitude of freedom, whereas Java tries to hold the programmer's hand as much as possible. So, once you start doing something the designer of the language never thought about, you start tripping over language restrictions more quickly in Java than in C++.

Of course, Java is a lot better nowadays than when it first came out, but in my experience you generally still have an easier time creating novel code and managing large projects in C++ than in Java...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Actually, that's kind of the way the two languages were designed, at least at first: something that takes 10 seconds in Java does take quite a bit more time in C++. However, something that takes less than a week in C++ could take weeks in Java, and something that takes a month or more in C++ can be totally unmanageable in Java. Both C++ and Java put an emphasis on object-oriented programming and templates, concepts which support programming-in-the-large; however, C++ more closely follows C's policy of allowing the programmer a wide latitude of freedom, whereas Java tries to hold the programmer's hand as much as possible. So, once you start doing something the designer of the language never thought about, you start tripping over language restrictions more quickly in Java than in C++.

Of course, Java is a lot better nowadays than when it first came out, but in my experience you generally still have an easier time creating novel code and managing large projects in C++ than in Java...
Have you tried scala? It's awesome!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Hmm, looks interesting! I'll check it out once it's ported to the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
honestly, not in my opinion, they were missing a ton of functionality, and but jolla imo did the core stuff well, or atleast well enough for me. everything lags on this system, maybe cause its a port but we'll see if the BQ version is more optimized. Jolla felt like a small company had created it, the Ubuntu OS felt like when we first ran Meego on the N900, laggy as
But did you compare apples for apples, I meant the Sailfish port on the N5 Vs UT on N5.
Or are you talking about Sailfish on your Jolla Vs UT on N5?

Right, but that doesn't answer my Qn & it wasn't directed at you anyway.
Was asking someone who's used both, what they're experience was/is like.

Since when were you a programmer, where's some of your work?

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-02-26 at 20:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: