Notices

After a sucessfull sudo gainroot, I'd like to be able to see the entire filesystem not only through the terminal but through any graphical system, this is the file manager.

So the question is, how can I enable the root privilegies with the file manager?? Should I execute it from the terminal after the sudo gainroot? (and in this case, what'd be the command??)

Thxs

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
After a sucessfull sudo gainroot, I'd like to be able to see the entire filesystem not only through the terminal but through any graphical system, this is the file manager.

So the question is, how can I enable the root privilegies with the file manager?? Should I execute it from the terminal after the sudo gainroot? (and in this case, what'd be the command??)

Thxs
The built-in file manager won't show anything different if run as root. You can use emelfm2 or mc to get full filesystem access though.

I've installed mc and gpe file manager (emelfm2 I can't find), but both need root access. How can I start these programs with root privilegies??

For GPE File Manager open terminal and type:

Code:
root
gpe-filemanager

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ torino - italia
sorry... I've tried to install mc on my n900. After downloading the file mc_4.6.2-prel1-maemo5_armel.deb I typed:
apt-get install mc_4.6.2-prel1-maemo5_armel.deb
but terminal say couldn't find pachage mc_4.6.2-prel1-maemo5_armel.deb ??? You know where is the mistake?

davide, why do you use terminal? Open default File manager, go to downloaded file and just click on it.

Originally Posted by kolos View Post
For GPE File Manager open terminal and type:

Code:
root
gpe-filemanager
Done the first thing I've done is to write sudo gainroot, then neither sudo gpe-filemanager nor root gpe-filemanager worked. Then I've typed exit, and then root, and I've entered to busybox (how is that??), then gpe-filemanager and done

Thx!

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
Done the first thing I've done is to write sudo gainroot, then neither sudo gpe-filemanager nor root gpe-filemanager worked. Then I've typed exit, and then root, and I've entered to busybox (how is that??), then gpe-filemanager and done

Thx!
Umm, Busybox is the terminal in Maemo. That's why you "entered to busybox".

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ torino - italia
kolos: done it. but the "...installation file corrupted"
May be downloaded in a bad place.... I often have to choose the OS. Is it "armel" fon n900? one more thing: are mc and gpe equivalent to browse efficiently the system?

Originally Posted by davide View Post
kolos: done it. but the "...installation file corrupted"
May be downloaded in a bad place.... I often have to choose the OS. Is it "armel" fon n900? one more thing: are mc and gpe equivalent to browse efficiently the system?
Why don't you install it from Application Manager. Just enable extras-devel catalog.