Active Topics

About two weeks ago one of the four email accounts (gmail) linked to my N9 stopped downloading messages. The other accounts kept downloading emails until earlier this week and then suddenly they (another gmail, and one of my work and a library account) stopped downloading as well.

This occurs whether attempting to d/l via Wifi or 2G/3G.

Email has always been painfully slow but now it doesn't work at all.

I did a reset (Settings->Reset->Restore Settings) which made the phone work more smoothly in some aspects but no email restored.

I tried turning off some of the emails and turning them back on.

I then tried deleting all the accounts and re-entering the username and password.

Sorry for the newb post. I am not a unix power user but can go to the command line and do things if I have a clear idea and a road map (e.g. - how to reinstall the email client or how to clear some setting) but I don't know what I'm seeking.

I'm curious if installing some app hasn't brought this on. I have a bunch I've downloaded from the Nokia Store (plus Conky and the OPPTimizer with the phone running at 1175MHz for weeks, maybe that corrupted something from working the phone harder?)

Thanks in advance for suggestions to fix this. If I have to clear all data and reset the device and reinstall all apps I can do that too.

The Following User Says Thank You to N9WB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Maybe clear the device, but you gonna loose all your data, backup 1st before do it

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Do you use always up to date as sync?

If so you can try changing it to 10 minutes. I know this is not a real fix, only a work around. But I had such a problem and that got rid of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
I had different problem, my boxes disappeared totally. This helped:

"Hmm, it seems that you got corrupted QMF database. So, to solve this issue you shouldn't flash your phone and so on. I'm suggesting to:
1) Remove everything in /home/user/.qmf directory (you can run in the terminal #rm -r /home/user/.qmf command).
2) Reboot the device."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Wow, thank you.

@ ajalkane - I think I may understand now what happened (or this may just be coincidence):

Somewhere in the past two weeks I noticed that the phone's clock was fast. I looked in the clock settings (Settings -> Time and Date -> Automatic Time Update) and realized that the clock wasn't synched to auto-sync and switched that to "on". I then realized it was nice to have been "fast" by about two minutes so then I turned Automatic Time Update "off" again. That may be the smoking gun. But now how to resolve the problem?

@Metsämies - first

#devel-su

then

#rm -r/home/user/.qmf

Is that correct? I know that's a super-newb question but I rarely use the terminal.

I did those steps (entered, then rebooted). How do I confirm that the .qmf file is removed?

This is the response I got:

rm: invalid option - - '/'
BusyBox v1.20.0.git (MeeGo 3:1.20-0.1+0m7) mult
i-call binary

Usage: rm [-irf] FILE. . .

When checking for mail in the email client it reads "Checking the mailbox" but nothing downloads.

If not, I may have to do as Ibrakalifa suggests and backup and restore. (That means manually re-installing all apps, replacing all photos/music right?)

Last edited by N9WB; 2012-06-09 at 15:17.

Yes, but you may try terminal cmd 1st, my advice is for final step,

You miss the space, rm -rf /home/user/.qmf

be carefull with xterminal,

wow my 1000th post, i love this community, long live maemo,

Last edited by ibrakalifa; 2012-06-09 at 15:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
oops,

.qmf

Now I'm getting somewhere.

is it

#rm -r

or

#rm -rf

?

I tried both ways

With # rm -r /home/user/.qmf it reads:

rm -r /home/user/.qmf : descend into directory '/home/user/.qmf'?

If I enter :
? y

I get Permission denied one line at a time.

and with

rrm -rf /home/user/.qmf I get pages of Permission denied all at once.

Thanks for your patience. o.O

you have to root

devel-su
rootme
rm -rf /home/user/.qmf

please be carefull with xterm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
I had the exact same problem like the original poster. It all started two weeks ago as well. Funny coincidence. I did not know what to do then and I reflashed including mmc after I figured out how to backup my angry birds scores. Yes they are important :-).

Reflashing helped of course and both of my imap accounts are downloading again. One thing still bugs me though. When I manually sync mails the little white arrow next to the clock is not appearing anymore. I had the same problem two weeks ago when sync stopped working completely. Its still syncing now though.

rm -rf /home/user/.qmf does not work even with root access. Lots of permission denied errors. I hoped it would help me getting my white arrow back. Whoami shows root after devel-su.

Edit:
I tried to run "rm -rf .qmf" as the normal user and it worked. I reebooted and my mail folders where empty. I tapped the sync button and the white sync arrow was showing and all the latest mails were downloading. And consecutive syncs are much faster, because the mail database is slim again I guess. Perfect.

I hope this works for the original poster as well. I will now once a month clear my .qmf folder to keep the mail app in shape.

Last edited by Try Catch; 2012-06-09 at 23:25.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Try Catch For This Useful Post: