Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
Thanks for referring me to that page. I never saw the Maemo version of the content, but looking at the page, there is still not enough to show capabilities.
What details are you missing to know better the capabilities?

fwiw, the Maemo architecture overview can be found at http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...l_Architecture

Taking it a step further, the UX layer description of "built on a handheld optimized UI framework" leads me to believe that the interface will be very restrictive.
In Maemo 5, Hildon is "a handheld optimized UI framework" so there is nothing really new in the concept. The technologies change from GTK+ based to Qt based, but this has little to do with restrictiveness.

(The videos lead me to believe the same.) To me, this means that unless a UI was built for Meego's UI framework, it won't work. I could be wrong, but I would believe that porting over apps like OO, desktop Firefox, and others would no longer be possible (or not as easy).
You have basically the same foundations available (D-Bus, Glib, Qt, GTK+...) and the porting work is probably the same? With the possible advantage the overall MeeGo is based in more recent and less patched versions of upstream components.

I am looking to see a continuation of Maemo's evolution of being a handheld computer OS. What I am instead seeing on that page is path that has been set by Android and the iPhone OS; an OS that has made some sacrifices for a simplified UI. For example, I love my G1, but it is too limited; so, when I need to do some powerhouse stuff, I turn to my N810. I don't know if MeeGo will be as versatile as Maemo.
For some reason you are mixing an architecture overview with UI concepts that such diagram is not defining at all. In any case, the fact of having different UXs sitting on top of a same core system just shows that MeeGo will be more versatile than Maemo, don't you think?

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by Ahmed360 View Post
dammit, I was assured that it will not be released for N900, it will only be available in an unofficial firmware images...thats the answer i got from some people in nokia

((
So if there is no official meego release for the n900 by nokia (which still has not been confirmed except for I have a friend of an uncle of the classmate of the guy who works for nintendo who had lunch with a guy from nokia who said it's not going to happen) all it means is that we won't enjoy all that sweet ovi services integration that we currently enjoy.

oh wait...

Hell, if Intel can make an app store that actually lets me buy apps, they've got my support. I'll tilt my coffee mug to that.

Last edited by ZShakespeare; 2010-04-20 at 14:30.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
the Maemo architecture overview can be found at http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...l_Architecture

For some reason you are mixing an architecture overview with UI concepts that such diagram is not defining at all. In any case, the fact of having different UXs sitting on top of a same core system just shows that MeeGo will be more versatile than Maemo, don't you think?
I am mixing the architecture with UI concepts because 1) the architecture references it and 2) this is all the videos have demonstrated. The MeeGo architecture diagram is very broad and doesn't say anything and what it does say doesn't make me feel comfortable. The MeeGo architecture doesn't hold a candle to the Maemo architecture diagram that you've shared because Maemo's is very elaborate in comparison.

I do agree with you that MeeGo is more versatile in that UIs can be swapped out. However, if that is something to write home about, I would have rather seen a demo of that and other layers than the videos highlighting one possible UI.