Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Memory "management" on android is, in one word, @#!*. On my galaxy note 2 with 2GB ram and with over half of it free and with just a single foreground application running (web browser), when I press home key to switch to home, then long press home key to bring up list of recent apps and return to web browser it has already been chucked from memory and has to merrily reload the previously opened tabs again. It does this consistently, even straight after a reboot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I agree, I find when I try and pull down from the top using my thumb the moment I release it rolls up again and I end up having to do the gesture two handed to make it work. Jolla's pulley menu is a great idea.
I don't wanna quote Jobs but really "You're doing it wrong".
I never have trouble pulling down the Notification drawer. I know the problem you have, I used to have it too. The way I fixed it was to simply PULL DOWN.

One swipe down.
Going down to >70% of the screen would guarantee it opens but its needless. I simply do ONE single SHORT pull downwards.

I apologize if this wasn't the issue you were talking about.
Android has A LOT of problems, but the Not. Drawer isn't one of them. Here's a list with some of them, its a good read trust me:
http://acko.net/blog/why-android-hates-you/

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Memory "management" on android is, in one word, @#!*. On my galaxy note 2 with 2GB ram and with over half of it free and with just a single foreground application running (web browser), when I press home key to switch to home, then long press home key to bring up list of recent apps and return to web browser it has already been chucked from memory and has to merrily reload the previously opened tabs again. It does this consistently, even straight after a reboot.
Yes, it also happens on Android 4.2/4.3 on Nexus 4 (4-core @ 1.5 GHz, 2 GB of RAM) and Android 4.0 on Asus Transformer TF101 (dual-core @ 1.0 GHz, 1 GB of RAM).
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I never have trouble pulling down the Notification drawer. I know the problem you have, I used to have it too. The way I fixed it was to simply PULL DOWN.

One swipe down.
Going down to >70% of the screen would guarantee it opens but its needless. I simply do ONE single SHORT pull downwards.

Android has A LOT of problems, but the Not. Drawer isn't one of them.
You're right

My default home screen had a weather widget at the top and I've had to move that because it was 50/50 whether I'd get the notification drawer or the weather but now I've lowered that I can open the drawer with a short quick flick.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post

One swipe down.
I don't know about their issue, but I find I have a lot of trouble with swiping in general. I disabled swipe to unlock since it usually took me about 3 attempts. Same thing (and more annoying) when I have to swipe to answer a ringing phone. The drawer is the one swipe action I actually have better success with, relatively speaking, in that it seems to stay open 2 out of 3 times I try.

Strangely, the swipe gestures on Blackberry seem to work for me almost every time and feel intuitive. Not sure why Android feels differently.

Android has A LOT of problems, but the Not. Drawer isn't one of them. Here's a list with some of them, its a good read trust me:
http://acko.net/blog/why-android-hates-you/
Thanks for the link. That is an interesting read. I agree on a number of points, although I'm not sure if we should be taking UI tips from a person with a website that jarring.

Last edited by dylanemcgregor; 2013-08-26 at 11:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
...although I'm not sure if we should be taking UI tips from a person with a website that jarring.
exactly my thought.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
i used maemo for a long still i come here to see what i am missing now a days.

to be frank i like a few things in android. the app store! it is a great experience to install app and uninstall without waiting unlike HAM (i know about FAM but it is also too when you install an app)

many games and stuff available in the android market almost no lag no bug good amount of updates good support from google too

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Anyone who prefer an n900 over a decent modern Android phone for anything other than nostalgic reason is a complete fanboy, maybe even slightly insane.
The n900 is just too slow in almost everything. And I know some of you will argue that if it had quad cores and 2GBs of ram it would be fast too... Well it doesn't.
I was able to load theverge mobile site, scroll down and hit "full site", load that and reload SIX times before the n900 was able to load the full site once, on my iphone 5. And I imagine a modern android phone will be just as fast.
Not to mention the terrible battery life, bad camera, low quality lcd, resistive touch screen and chunkiness.
The world has simply passed the n900 by, sadly. I did love it back in 2009.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by tenkom View Post
Anyone who prefer an n900 over a decent modern Android phone for anything other than nostalgic reason is a complete fanboy, maybe even slightly insane...
if nostalgia is the only reason then I'd agree with you but it isn't.
I like the hardware keyboard, fmtx, and ir (though recent androids have that now).
and I can't fully trust android. (paranoia is different from nostalgia)

Not to mention the terrible battery life, bad camera, low quality lcd, resistive touch screen and chunkiness.
The world has simply passed the n900 by, sadly. I did love it back in 2009
after cssu and the tweaks around here, I no longer find the n900's battery life terrible.
I also disagree with the camera being bad. stock camera is actually good and so is the lcd. I don't know why you'd call the n900's lcd bad. is it the size?
resistive yes but it's responsive and people here who draw using mypaint use it very well. I don't mind the resistive screen but I do appreciate the fact that I can use almost anything as a stylus for it.

chunkiness, yes that's another point I'd have to agree with you.

I also use a galaxy note 2 btw.

Last edited by vetsin; 2013-09-14 at 13:12.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Well. I suppose there are a few advantages. But I would argue they are far too few and far between to warrant choosing an n900 over a modern phone.
You can easily buy fm transmitters for your car(which is where I assume you use it) that will connect to your samsung via bluetooth. I used one such and it worked great for my iPhone apart from the problems all fm transmitters have with stations creeping in on the same frequency.
And I don't know what you take pictures of but my n900 is decidedly sub-par compared to modern day phones. With and abundance of noise and weird colors creeping in on my photos especially indoors.

Tags
bloatedswisbad!