Notices

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
- some people reported crashes with Day of Tentacle
Anywhere official to log these crashes? The two freezes I've seen are repeatable:
  • "look at" the swiss bank book in the office right near the start of the game.
  • flush the hoover flyer down the chronojon to hoagie, again right near the start.

In the mean-time, I will try the diablo build mentioned a while back.

Where's the best place to pick up on how to build and debug scummvm on the N900? I'd like to help if i can.

This is an excellent app, it finally got me to play all those classic LucasArts adventure games I've been skipping out on. The only major issue I've noticed is with the CD version of Sam and Max: it freezes randomly when speech is turned on.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
ScummVM 1.1.0 release is near. Here is 1.1.0pre compiled from 1.1 branch. It should install and work on all devices (from 770 to N900). Recent N900 firmware supports installing .deb file directly via clicking the link (just like with older devices).

1.1.0 release tagging is planned for today so this code (with version label changed) becomes the final 1.1.0 version unified binary (=for all Maemo devices) hosted at scummvm.org. Once there is official release I will upload source to extras(-testing) autobuilders for Diablo and Fremantle. These will be a bit more tweaked for specific Maemo version (smaller size due to dynamic linking of dependencies, bigger icon in Application manager, compiler flags ...)

I hope I will also update documentation before the official 1.1.0 version comes (in few days).

For list of changes and newly suported games see the NEWS file.

Please report crashes and (Maemo specific) bugs here to this thread. This is a good package to test for N900 specific crashes reported before (Day of Tentacle, Sam and Max).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2010-03-24 at 16:00.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
cool, looking forward to the new version, thanks

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
The 1.1.0 release is delayed by one week so more time for testing.

Originally Posted by napoleon View Post
The two freezes I've seen are repeatable:
  • "look at" the swiss bank book in the office right near the start of the game.
Tested with N900 and I see no crash with latest version linked in my previous post (built with OS2006 SDK). To me it looks like bug in compiler used in Fremantle SDK.

Originally Posted by napoleon View Post
Where's the best place to pick up on how to build and debug scummvm on the N900? I'd like to help if i can.
The easiest is to add extras-devel to your Fremantle scratchbox SDK target and use apt-get source. Or to get the latest code you can check it out from scummvm.org SVN and apply the patch. Then you build it as usual.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2010-03-25 at 09:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
I've run into one bug at the end of Discworld, but I'm uncertain if it's a game bug or a ScummVM bug; I'll try recreating it as soon as possible.

Basically the game does not progress to the last act (Act IV), and this may be because of me solving the puzzles in a pretty random order.
You're tasked with finding several items that defines a hero, and one of these is Camel-Flage (or camouflage). In the game it's soot scraped of a wall, but the item you receive is not the actual hero item until you use it in your inventory, turning it to a pile of soot.
The thing is I forgot to do this and carried the soot around in my bag, unused. When I had all items, Act IV would not start and after using the soot it still did not start after swapping zones. Unfortunately I'd saved not far back, making it impossible to attempt to recreate or avoid the bug.

I do have a save from mid-game I'll boot up and rig to fail. I'll return as soon as I have attempted to recreate the bug (or get past the section, if it's common in ScummVM)!

Edit: I managed to get all the way to the end this time; I saved the "sword that goes ting" for last and was greeted with Act IV. However, the game mechanics broke down after this, as the huge dragon was nowhere to be found, rendering the final act unplayable. I'll do a new attempt tomorrow, this time trying to recreate the problem with the soot and Act IV not starting. I'll also copy the saves to my computer and attempt to finish it here, as it may be a N900 issue.

Last edited by theslof; 2010-03-25 at 22:48.

This is/was a problem with the original Discworld game on the PC. It didn't occur for everyone though. There were a number of patches issued, but I never managed to get right to the end.

It seems like the ScummVM engine is actually less buggy than the PC version. The reason the dragon was not in the square was due to the last puzzle not being completed.
In the old buggy version this was circumvented by walking to the square where the dragon stood, even though she apparently should not, and feeding the small swamp dragon a lit firecracker. This would trigger the end scene.
The game seems to work as intended.

I'll go back to attempting to force the soot bug again. I've yet to be successful, though, so it seems to be a random game bug.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Denmark
I have a lot of problems with Day of the Tentacle as well, but if I save (very) often I can progress into the game. If I continue from a save point, I can go further ... and so on, I haven't found any specific points where the game fails (yet)

I don't know if it is a CPU (spikes) or RAM (bleeding) issue, but it sounds like either. I haven't checked out 1.1.0pre, as I will wait for the final release. Keep it up

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Great news about the new version coming up.
I am already impressed by the performance and stability of the current available version and cannot wait to try the official new release once it comes out after the little delay.
So far I have been trying games like Full Throttle and Monkey Island 3.
Only started on them, but so far so good.