Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by wert613 View Post
So... A pretty, closed source package manager, with a large percentage of applications that require payment, running in iTunes?
Most definitely.

How can they refuse to attempt to recreate the AppStore 'success' on the desktop (OS)? For a chance to get 30% of ALL software revenues and get all of the potential control and information that goes through their system.

I'm not gonna go into the 'evilness' of it, it's just a rational thing to do for a(ny) profit oriented company. There are pros and cons to this system.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Most definitely.

How can they refuse to attempt to recreate the AppStore 'success' on the desktop (OS)? For a chance to get 30% of ALL software revenues and get all of the potential control and information that goes through their system.

I'm not gonna go into the 'evilness' of it, it's just a rational thing to do for a(ny) profit oriented company. There are pros and cons to this system.
Makes sense to me, Apple's demographic is perfect for such a system, it'll be accepted with beaming smiles.

Like I said, there are pros and cons for this system. If I were a content producer, this would be a very appealing arrangement. I mean, just look at AppStore's success.

So it wouldn't be a stretch to predict similar interest from developers\content producer for such a setup.

PS: Put yourself in the shoes of someone who makes a living this way. The need to put food on the table for themselves\their family, y'know? Money and all that.

Well food is good and all... Alright I concede.

The Following User Says Thank You to wert613 For This Useful Post:
Sorry, i didn't mean to raise any debate on this issue. Just presenting the other side for 'completion' sake.. you've gotta see the dark side of the moon to get a full view of it, y'know... or.. er...keep your friends close and your enemies closer?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Sorry, i didn't mean to raise any debate on this issue. Just presenting the other side for 'completion' sake.. you've gotta see the dark side of the moon to get a full view of it, y'know... or.. er...keep your friends close and your enemies closer?
Oh, it's not a debate, I was conceding to Apple. *arms fly out in front of him* Applllle... *drools*

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by wert613 View Post
The general idea seems to be a MacBook Pro with no keyboard.
No, that's (literally) a modbook.

The Apple Tablet will almost certainly be:

a) cheaper than a MacBook Pro (dunno if it'll be cheaper than a MacBook, though)
b) smaller in screen size (part of the point is the 10"-ish market)
c) even if it's desktop OSX, like on a MB/MBP/MBA, I expect it will have a touchscreen and/or finger optimized UI ... unlike on a MB/MBP/MBA

re: App Store

If it's based on full/desktop OS X, I don't see how they'd be able to stop people from installing random OS X apps. In fact, think it would be detrimental for them to do that. Having an App Store to make things easier? yes, I'm sure they will. And having "limited accounts" like you can already create on desktop OS X, that'd be good for the kidlets too, and could probably be limited to "app store apps only" with the right magic.

But, I think the locked down experience being talked about here will only work if it's not desktop OS X. It'd have to be iPhone OSX, which makes the tablet into "just a giant iPod Touch". Several people, mac customers, have said that if it's a "desktop Mac, with tablet optimizations" then they're in ... but if it's "a giant iPod Touch", then they're not.

So, I can easily see the locked-down experience being a complete failure for Apple.

Doesn't mean they wont try it. I just don't see it being a success if they do.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
All these concepts just prove how boring current Apple lineup is in terms of look. People can't even dream about something different than black screen and aluminium edge...

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
All these concepts just prove how boring current Apple lineup is in terms of look. People can't even dream about something different than black screen and aluminium edge...
That, or everyone knows and accepts the consistent and polished apple design.

Who needs all of the garishness most PC makers put into their designs? Most of them are butt ugly, or poorly conceived. And the ones that try to ape Apple's designs make just enough modifications to avoid legal issues ... and to dilute/ruin the value of the clean design.

If there's one thing Apple _does_ know, and consistently get right (at least, since Jobs' return), it's physical design of their devices. They don't always get the materials right for constructing the design, but they get the designs right.

Tags
apple, concept, tablet