Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi everybody,
After a long time out of the forum, I bought another N900 a few days back.
For some unknown reasons () the N900 can't connect to the Wifi of my University. I Tried another Wifi AP and it works fine, so i suspect the phone not to be compatible with newer wifi norms (IEEE 802.11n).

So, as I own a galaxy Nexus, i want to be able to use the n900 to profit of the internet connection of the Galaxy Nexus. Basicaly, the Galaxy Nexus is able to share it's connection (3G or GPRS) via wifi (it's implemented in the firmware). I tried this and it works fine but, my question is: is it possible to share the Wifi (not the mobile internet - 3G, GPRS) of the galaxy nexus with the nokia n900. I mean, the Galaxy nexus connects to the Wifi, and shares its wifi connection to the N900 (like PC does) ?

Searching on the internet, i read that it was not possible unless i install a soft called BlueDUN (a kind of Bluetooth Dial Up Network) on the Galaxy Nexus, wich will share the wifi connection via Bluetooth. The problem is that i can't connect to it using bluetooth. To be honnest, i pratically forgot everything about using the N900 (i did not even remember how to copy paste from the browser - shame on me) so i'm such a noob.

I installed Pc-connectivity manager but i'm lost and I would like a guide to help me connect my N900 to the Galaxy nexus via bluetooth this time. When I open the app on my galaxy nexus, it seems to be working fine, but i can't connect to it from the N900. Both phones are paired (recognized) but not connected (the bluetooth icon does not turn blue).

I read almost all related threads on the forum, it did not help, that's why i open this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
While I can't really help with the bluetooth or the Android issues, can I ask about the wifi at your university? It may be true that "n" is the most recent 802.11 standard (and yes, the N900 does not support it), but I would be surprised to find that a public wifi system would only support 802.11n. There are a whole lot of devices out there that only run on b or g; not only cell phones, but laptops, network printers, and just a huge variety of other gadgets. And I think most current wifi access point hardware supports serving b/g/n at the same time...

It just seems kind of odd that they are only supporting "n".

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your answer. Yeah they are moving all their services to the new 802.11n (they said it on their web page for configuring laptops or devices), that's why i thought about my GNex. Even my computer can't share it's internet connection with the N900 because the wifi radio is set on 802.11n

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Okay so can you give me steps to have internet from my computer, this time using bluetooth ??????

EDIT: It seems that I did not search enough on the forum! SHAME ON ME. I found The Solution here:http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54238

Thanks to Copernicus for answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Yeah they are moving all their services to the new 802.11n (they said it on their web page for configuring laptops or devices)
Wow, what a pain. I'm sure the local electronics shops are going to be happy though, seeing that the university is essentially giving up on any device more than about three years old.

Edit: Good to see that it is working! I guess they are still supporting older wifi hardware?

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Yup, I guess it too.