Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi all,
I would like to know how to completely discharge the N900 battery. I remarked that when it is completely discharged (in a way i can't switch it on anymore) it charges it better. I obtain near to 95~96% on QBC battery widget. Sometimes when it's not fully discharged and I put the Charger, it display 80~90% charged.
So I wanted to know if there was a command line or an application to discharge the battery.
Thanks in Advance.

I don't think it's possible via software because the phone will shutdown when it's nearly completely discharged . You can try the hardware way , to make a short circuit on battery pins , but I don't know if it's safe for battery .

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoss91 For This Useful Post:
put a LED on the battery pins and leave it on until there is no light at all. it will probably take 15 days :P

First of all, it doesn't charge "better", when You discharge it to ~318-something mV (cause phone shuts own then). Its plain bul... wrong assumption. Just remember, than green led *doesn't* mean that charging is finished. It may be as good still charging, already charged, or infinite charging via too much system load - I don't want to get into too much details here (if You even gonna be interested, You'll know where to ask).

Second thing - Li-Ions (in this case, Li-Po) doesn't like to be completely discharged. to be honest, they hate it and tend to die after just a few such incidents Thankfully, both pcb in battery and N900 internals doesn't allow You to discharge battery completely. Most devices assume that @ 3.0V, Li-Po is discharged "to 0%" and shouldn't be drained more, to avoid possible damage. In fact, absolute safe minimum is 2,5V, but from that state, battery may drain itself (on idle) to non-safe voltage very quickly. And, in our stock Nokia battery, from 3,0 V to 2,5 there is only 5 mAh of power, so no much gain in sucking it, either.

Discharging battery (almost) to relative 0% may be useful in some cases - i.e. charging chip calibration - but it's also totally different topic.

Anyway, Your question is rather strange, even if We don't mention all this geeky stuff. You want to discharge Your battery completely (relative)? Just leave phone will full brightness, screen on, and video playing until it turns off

If, by any case, You would like to get possible filesystem corruption and to put Your battery in danger, You can also execute "stop bme" as root, then just use Your device until it "die" from low power (@ about 2850 mV). Not very much sense in doing so, but if You want anyway...

// Edit

To finish this post with something useful - Li-Ions and derivatives just love when you keep them between 30-80% (i.e, the live much longer if You never discharge them "completely", and never charge to absolutely full). So, except calibrating chip, it's very healthy (well, at least for battery) if You charge it even not fully discharged. Remember, it's *not* ni-cd...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-08-01 at 00:39.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
It is a LiPo battery, and as such (as Estel mentioned) is very dangerous to discharge completely. LiPo batteries can catch fire or even explode if over-discharged.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Thanks for your point of views.

The default battery meter lies. There's not much point in adding excessive wear and tear on the battery (thus making it hold less energy) just to get more pleasant lies from the battery meter.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post: