I have a weird problem with my N9. Everytime I insert my earphones all the way into the jack and start playing music with the default music player, it will puse the music after 2 seconds. If i pull the earphones about 2mm out then it won't do it anymore. Do i have a faulty headphone jack?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
are you using the iphone/ipod headphones?

Nope, I'm trying the Klipsch S4 (without the i or a) and i tried a pair of etymotics er6i. I don't believe they arr only compatible with the iphone because they both have no volume/play/pause controls, they are just basic earphones.

It should pause the player when you pull the HP jack out completely.

Last edited by taviman; 2012-06-12 at 04:23.

Yea it does that. The behavior I'm experiencing is when the earphones are plugged in fully and I start playing music with the music player, the music will pause about 1-2 seconds in and then quickly switch between play and then pause.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Are you using the rubber case on your N9? Sometimes the earphone plug does not fully enters because it touches the rubber case.

What happens if you use the original set?? Then you know if the issue is in the phone.
Second step is that you should try to compare the resistance of your headset with the original set, using an ohmmeter.

Last edited by taviman; 2012-06-12 at 14:30.

Originally Posted by taviman View Post
What happens if you use the original set?? Then you know if the issue is in the phone.
Second step is that you should try to compare the resistance of your headset with the original set, using an ohmmeter.
Yes the original headset that comes with the phone works, but the original is a 4 pole trrs while my regular earphones without mic is only 3 pole trs. I'm not really sure how to compare ohm readings when they differ like that.

Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Are you using the rubber case on your N9? Sometimes the earphone plug does not fully enters because it touches the rubber case.
Not using a case with it so that's not the issue.

I've so far tried sennheiser cx series, etymotics er6i and the klipsch s4.

Last edited by milk224; 2012-06-13 at 05:31.

Well, I just tested with some nokia headset (simple, no mic or buttons), and it works correctly (plug in - continues to play, plug out - pauses).
Same happens when I used some nameless Chinese hset.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by taviman View Post
Well, I just tested with some nokia headset (simple, no mic or buttons), and it works correctly (plug in - continues to play, plug out - pauses).
Same happens when I used some nameless Chinese hset.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your help, sadly I think my headphone jack is just not working properly with regular earphones, maybe too sensitive to different resistence.

So far I know Klipsch S4, Sennheiser CX200, and Etymotics ER6i don't know but the stock Nokia headset and the Nokia Purity HDs work.

I'm going to buy one of those housings on Ebay and hope it fixes the problem.