Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
This isn't "Design by Community" it is "Design by Community within the Parameters we're comfortable with"

You can only "vote" for a design that falls within the green zone. My vote would be for a 4" screen, resistive, QWERTY, hot key + one touch, 16x9. Oops, sorry keep tweaking, that's too far out there. Let me vote for it anyway. Maybe, just maybe, Nokia might find out that what they think is too far out there is what people want.

Or, how about a 5" screen, QWERTY, hot key only, 16x9? Only with non-touch screen. I guess I want a netbook with a 5" screen?

What do you want to bet, the device that comes out of this is 3.5" screen, capacitive, standard keypad, hot key only, 16x9? (dead center of the good zone)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Why is 16:9 such a drain anyway? Format factor consumes power?

Any why are hardware buttons such a demanding business? Addin two mouse buttons weigh the same as another centimeter of touchscreen goodness?

Also, if I had a choice, I'd leave out other stuff I marginally use or like - the parameters there are great for marketing, but not incredibly so for a user. E.g. if it has the 5" capacitive (which I don't want) and qwerty but runs Apple OS it's an iPad and I don't want it.

OS, App base, size, battery, etc, all of there can outweigh things like screen size and technology. If someone came and "upgraded" my N900 to 5" capacitive and removed the keyboard there'd be blood. Or some Symbian with no VNC and SSH and VPN (yet).

Maybe a survey like "What would you give up to have capacitive" with checkboxes would be more informative.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Maybe a survey like "What would you give up to have capacitive" with checkboxes would be more informative.
I'd settle for a survey of actual users that asked:

Have you used capacitive?
Have you used (modern) resistive?
Which do you prefer?
Why?

I honestly think too many people vote for capacitive based on an experience of resistive that is several years out of date or just because certain industry bloggers tell them it's superior. Personally, if all phones go capacitive, I shall be nursing my n900 into my (and its!) dotage.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I honestly think too many people vote for capacitive based on an experience of resistive that is several years out of date or just because certain industry bloggers tell them it's superior. Personally, if all phones go capacitive, I shall be nursing my n900 into my (and its!) dotage.
I also prefer resistive. Bit ashamed to admit that I logged from few differrent IP adressess and voted for resistive.

Every industry player besides Nokia seems to have allready abondoned resistive. Noticed on S^3 feature list that Symbian 3 will support multi-touch on both capacitive and resistive displays. That gives me little hope that Nokia isn't completly giving up resistive screens. Also hoping that chinese economy keeps growing. That will give chinese and their logographic writing, which really requires stylus on touchscreens, more purchasing power.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I think the future will be resistive multitouch.
Just because everything can be used to touch the screen and the actual touchscreen resolution is far superior.
If you haven't seen already check out the videos from Stantum. They're doing a AMAZING job. Their resistive multitouchscreens can actually used with a brush! How cool is that?

As some may know, I'm currently building a MultitouchTable. (A video of an early version on my youtube-channel)
There I'm using Infrared emitters and Infrared cameras. These are better on tables, because you can use fiductual markers (something like barcodes) to let the table know what you've putted on the table. For example a glass of wine. The table will now project more information about the wine around the glass.
Sorry for a little bit offtopic...

Isn't it possible to have both, like resistive touchscreen underneath and thin capacitive screen top of it?
And yes, I have let people with iPhone 3GS to try my N900, and they still think the touch sensitivity is not enough. They do appreciate the sharp accurate touches with the stylus though.

And multitouch, I think is no more dependent on what touch technology is in use, capacitive or resistive.

I like N900 very much, but I would improve it by having separate battery door from lens cover, so 3rd parties could more easily provide bigger battery to it. While on redesigning the back cover, I would put microSD-slot accessible without opening the shell.
Yeah, USB should work in OTG-host mode. I miss digital compass which is in N97. Also DVB-H, which is in N96, would not hurt.

And Meego as an OS, which should have Java support, both SE and ME., as I've written in http://meego.com/developers/getting-started#comment-132

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Isn't it possible to have both, like resistive touchscreen underneath and thin capacitive screen top of it?
And yes, I have let people with iPhone 3GS to try my N900, and they still think the touch sensitivity is not enough.
the sensitivity of the statum touchscreens is unbelieveable... as I said, you can use actually brushes! no need for capacitive anymore..

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
This isn't "Design by Community" it is "Design by Community within the Parameters we're comfortable with"

You can only "vote" for a design that falls within the green zone. My vote would be for a 4" screen, resistive, QWERTY, hot key + one touch, 16x9. Oops, sorry keep tweaking, that's too far out there. Let me vote for it anyway. Maybe, just maybe, Nokia might find out that what they think is too far out there is what people want.

Or, how about a 5" screen, QWERTY, hot key only, 16x9? Only with non-touch screen. I guess I want a netbook with a 5" screen?

What do you want to bet, the device that comes out of this is 3.5" screen, capacitive, standard keypad, hot key only, 16x9? (dead center of the good zone)
SURE! I'd like a phone with all those parameters maximized - the difference between me and you, is that I'll actually BUY IT when such a phone will be available.
Why such a difference? because a phone like this would cost A LOT, and you sir, back in your degenerated US cellphone market, would probably whine that it costs way above the "regular" 199$ that you're used to pay for a phone at your carriers.
Unfortunately, Nokia tries to obtain a grip in the US cellular market so they have to consider this variable in their equation so in this survey they use this "meter" thing as a way of telling you to keep it real - so, would YOU buy a phone which would cost 1000$ or more? I think not, then please stop whining about it...

Originally Posted by efekt View Post
SURE! I'd like a phone with all those parameters maximized - the difference between me and you, is that I'll actually BUY IT when such a phone will be available.
Why such a difference? because a phone like this would cost A LOT, and you sir, back in your degenerated US cellphone market, would probably whine that it costs way above the "regular" 199$ that you're used to pay for a phone at your carriers.
Unfortunately, Nokia tries to obtain a grip in the US cellular market so they have to consider this variable in their equation so in this survey they use this "meter" thing as a way of telling you to keep it real - so, would YOU buy a phone which would cost 1000$ or more? I think not, then please stop whining about it...
oh wow!
did you had a bad day?

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Nokia has patented such a thing. Although the layer order might be reversed-- I don't remember.