Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Is a optified gcc in Maemo Extras possible?
its possible, but not practical
would be better to optify the stuff directly within the sdk and tools repository
most folks dont need gcc and its friends so putting into extras isnt right.

i would *really* like to see build-essential and all the -dev libraries optified

/me mutters something about time and ponies

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
yes, but on a default n900 its won't work without some cleaning (for the reason see optification)
follow pycages advice, do not do this if you don't know how to cure any problems.
I am part of the unwashed masses, I don't know much about Maemo yet, but I would love to get gcc on my N900 with a simple safe installer 'for the rest of us'. I guess i have some reading to do...

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Here is how I installed build-essential

On a fresh flash (so there is plenty of room, or move packages to /opt)
* Enable extras repository and "red-pill" mode if necessary.
* Install rootsh from the app-manager, run the following as root

* Make room for the deb files:

Code:
cd /var/cache/apt
mv archives /home/
ln -s /home/archives/ archives
*Install build-essential (the following is copied from above for convenience. Thanks lcuk!):

add the repo deb http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/sdk free non-free

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install build-essential
then remove the repo again and apt-get update once again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceL For This Useful Post:
I didn't believe it but I tried it myself: I moved a file from one partition to another. Internally is that a copy and a remove? Can someone explain this?

Good work Bruce.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I didn't believe it but I tried it myself: I moved a file from one partition to another. Internally is that a copy and a remove? Can someone explain this?

Good work Bruce.
As far as I can tell from his post, BruceL is simply moving the package cache (where the App Manager and apt-get temporarily store downloaded packages) to a partition with more space, and then symlinking it back, so it appears to be in the same place. This will (apparently) allow you to install build-essential without running out of room during the download step, however, it doesn't fix the problem of un-optified packages eating up your rootfs space once installed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure you answered my question. I was wondering how a file can be moved from one partition to another. How are the actual bits getting transferred? It's not the same partition so you can't just move an inode to another directory entry on a different filesystem, right? I was able to "move" a file from a ubifs partition to an ext3 partition. So, I'm still wondering what's going on here.

As far as Bruce's good work, I was reffering to the "idea" of putting the Fremantle build environment on the n900. Bruce's actual approach would blow up my root partition. I just can't believe I've been so dense; I've always been using the debian lenny build tools in a chroot, but now I'm gonna use the actual Fremantle build setup in a cloned partition. Doh! That's why I'm stoked.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Last edited by daperl; 2010-01-07 at 14:19.

It does put a lot into your root partition. Immediately after installing it I used the pkgscan.sh script from another thread to move the compilers and several other items into /home/opt. Here is how:

1) Install bash (I am not sure which repo it is in): apt-get install bash

2) Download the script pkgscan.sh (search for it in the forums). You may need to modify it to convert it from DOS format to UNIX. I believe there is something about this in the thread.

3) Run the script as per the instructions in the above thread. It will ask which packages you want to move; I moved the larger build-essential packages and some others such as large locale files that are rarely used. This brings your use of the root partition down to a reasonable level.

It is definitely easier to build without a chroot.

I also installed gdb. Now I am working on autotools and the ddd debugger as some of the data structures I am working on are quite hard to visualize without a diagram.

Daperl, I assume mv does a copy and delete when it moves items from one partition to another, but that is just a guess.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'm not sure you answered my question. I was wondering how a file can be moved from one partition to another. How are the actual bits getting transferred? It's not the same partition so you can't just move an inode to another directory entry on a different filesystem, right? I was able to "move" a file from a ubifs partition to an ext3 partition. So, I'm still wondering what's going on here.

As far as Bruce's good work, I was reffering to the "idea" of putting the Fremantle build environment on the n900. Bruce's actual approach would blow up my root partition. I just can't believe I've been so dense; I've always been using the debian lenny build tools in a chroot, but now I'm gonna use the actual Fremantle build setup in a cloned partition. Doh! That's why I'm stoked.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Last edited by BruceL; 2010-01-07 at 16:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceL For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
texrat you might want to move this thread somewhere it belongs please?!

to you people discussing here:

if there is no wiki entry for it yet you might want to add a "how to compile on n900" section to it

Whoa, that was some hacking, but I'm now building, optifying, installing and running packages on my n900 through a cloned chroot on the /home partition. I'm fried; details later.

daperl, I'm looking forward to the details.

As a warning to anyone trying the method I described above, if you move the c++ and gcc packages to /opt there will be problems with include file paths. Fortunately, the pkgscan.sh tools makes it easy to 'undo' an 'optify' on any particular package and when I moved those two packages back the problem was solved. Currently my rootfs is at 78%.

Tags
c compiler, c language, c programming, c++ compiler, c++ language, c++ programming, compile, compiler, development, maemo, on-device, on-device development, on-device programming, programming