Active Topics

VDVsx, I'm an HCI junky too! In fact I'm an undergraduate in a Psychology lab dealing with HCI issues right now. Going into a masters program in Fall for Human Factors Psychology.

I think this dialog seems to make more sense too, though I can think of one problem (I haven't tried the alpha out myself). Is this something you could hit accidentally?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Here's set of aisleriot screenshots

(and what the heck is happening to picture sizes?)
The scrollbar is not optimized for finger usage. The buttons on the bottom aren't either. While scrollbar is not a big deal I think buttons on bottom is a bit difficult to do this on the 800x480 screen because if you use too big buttons (combined with the top bar) there is not much left of the 480 pixels.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
VDVsx, I'm an HCI junky too! In fact I'm an undergraduate in a Psychology lab dealing with HCI issues right now. Going into a masters program in Fall for Human Factors Psychology.

I think this dialog seems to make more sense too, though I can think of one problem (I haven't tried the alpha out myself). Is this something you could hit accidentally?
No think so, you can see a example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiNF4C1p030
(around 00:49)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Five of them, used the UI without any complains, and don't even blink when they have to hit outside the dialog to close it. The other three made me two different question:

"Where is the close button ?" and "Should I click outside the dialog to close it ?"

But I didn't have enough time to answer, because they actually close the dialog without my help.

funny how different people draw different conclusions from the same facts. if i were responsible for this project and you confronted me with these figures, i'd say:
  • 3 out of 8 people react confused when confronted with the new changes
  • the new style doesn't bring any advantage
  • the new style breaks established cross-platform rules
i'd call my team after your presentation and tell them to immediately re-work the whole thing.

but then... further discussing this doesn't lead us anywhere.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Also, at the Maemo summit we were told to consider one-handed use in our application design. I wonder what these dialogs do if the screen is rotated into portrait?

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

funny how different people draw different conclusions from the same facts. if i were responsible for this project and you confronted me with these figures, i'd say:
  • 3 out of 8 people react confused when confronted with the new changes
  • the new style doesn't bring any advantage
  • the new style breaks established cross-platform rules
i'd call my team after your presentation and tell them to immediately re-work the whole thing.

but then... further discussing this doesn't lead us anywhere.
  • One time learning, and they are not confused, otherwise they probably will not act without others help.
  • Innovation/difference is a advantage.
  • This style follow the principles that I learned in HCI, and in IMHO, I don't see any rule breaked here.

Best regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Also, at the Maemo summit we were told to consider one-handed use in our application design. I wonder what these dialogs do if the screen is rotated into portrait?
Show on the side?

So the question with the lack of a cancel button is: how do you teach (or remind) the user that the dialog box is closed. I think the answer is to standardize the ways boxes and windows can disappear. So a box being hidden by a window (the other likely possibility when clicking outside the dialog) should disappear differently from a box being dismissed. Presumably the style of dismissal disappearance would be similar in style to what happens to a window when its application has closed. Some small animation might be appropriate.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Difference can't equal advantage. Consistency can.

The Following User Says Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The way the dialogs are anchored to the bottom of the screen makes me think that they are intended to slide on and off, which would certainly look different to another window just been brought in front of the dialog.

Tags
fremantle