Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I can never find anything useful with Search on this site. Usually, it points to threads with literally hundreds, sometimes more than 1000 posts, and no one has time to read them all. But if you ask someone that you are sure knows, you get "use the search function".

We need to ban the "Use Search" answer and start assuming most folks are smart enough to have tried. We've already accepted that the forums need work.

EDIT:
I just figured out how to show posts, but most people will try using the search bar atop the page, which gives far worse results. Can using that bar default to a posts view instead of a threads view at user request in the future? Its getting to the point that I really love doing my research until it requires coming to Maemo.org, which is a pain in the aspirin, and something I truly abhor.

I won't trumpet other communities, but most forums I frequent are easier to use than this. One idea I have is doing as some of the open source forums I frequent. Make a custom Google Search bar that pays Maemo.org for us using it, and let us search from there, with a "search TMO or the Web" option.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
use Power Search

instructions?

Tell Admin to install Invision.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Custom Google Search
I've suggested this before. I've seen some Linux distros embed a custom Google search in the browser, and searches earn them money. Maemo should think about doing that, and allowing people to embed it into their browser's search bar as well as on the forum pages.

It's right there, first button in right column in default theme http://talk.maemo.org/msearch.php

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
It's right there, first button in right column in default theme http://talk.maemo.org/msearch.php
Now that's the first time I've seen that in my life! Wow. So we have a search bar at top, Power search below, and two steps down another search. Why not unify that stuff? It causes so much confusion and fragmented workflow. Why not base the search bar on Power Search in the first place? Seems like someone went out of their way to make it hard to use.