Posts: 15 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
It's stupid to care about the amount of apps. N900 has ~700 properly tested (extras) apps and still so far has been more than enough for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mowgli For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
You're deluded if you think your vision of this 'consumer' will still apply in three years.
You'd be equally delusional if you don't see the trend started 4 years ago for this type of consumer to become the majority and how this type of consumer has a level of expectation that some ecosystem (their term, not mine) has to be in place.

Remember when the original iPhone came out and there was no iTunes Music Store for it? Then a couple of years later, they were celebrating their one-billionth download?

All of a sudden, download counts became important. Even TMO has participated in that. As has Ovi, and the other app stores.

So with the convergence of your phone being your music player, how you consume news, the Internet, videos and the more powerful they become, you'd be quite delusional to not see a trend where if you deliver some gadget without the ability to connect to something that gives the consumer that kind of content, you're missing out on sales opportunities like no other.

Will it continue? Who knows? But to deliver a phone in 2011 without a content infrastructure in place is just like delivering a phone in 2007 without Copy/Paste or MMS and no iTunes (iOS). Or 2009 without MMS and no real Ovi support (Maemo 5). Or 2010 without Copy/Paste (WP7) and no international Zune support.

It's all stupid. Savvy folks want a device they can put whatever on and can control. By the numbers, we're a minority now. The rest of the folks want something that plugs into their computer, grabs/syncs their crap, they walk away happy hitting only one button.

Put it to you this way. N900 sold less than the crappiest variant of the Galaxy S series.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
There are many reasons why the N900 didn't sell as well as phone_name[1], ovi support isn't a major one.
Marketing is far more important than specs/support/ecosystem. You're not selling sewage pumps here.

Originally Posted by uppercase View Post
There are many reasons why the N900 didn't sell as well as phone_name[1], ovi support isn't a major one.
Marketing is far more important than specs/support/ecosystem. You're not selling sewage pumps here.
Then what were the reasons?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then what were the reasons?
Was it even marketed at all, in mass media ?
But why would you market it, it is so consumer unfriendly with its geeky way of going about things that you will drive your customers crazy.

The UI should be dumbed down. I love desktops and widgets but they complicate things. Four desktops out of the box !? with a small phone shortcut hiding on one of them ? Not made for public consumption.

The N9 has it the right way. Very nice work. Simple.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
the N900 has to pirate its games from another platform
Weren't you asking for a halt in the hyperbole?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Weren't you asking for a halt in the hyperbole?
That's a cool name for a game, "halt in the hyperbole"

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
That is noble thinking but most users do not want to be educated, the only way to make them use FOSS is to push it down their throat. Like building a Shiny one of kind phone that has it all, just works and market it like crazy.

We already missed the train with the netbooks, those could have done some serious FOSS infiltration.

The super phone that beats them all with FOSS can still be made but time is running out.
Nokia could have been the one, so sad they won't be.
dont expect any company to ever release a fully FOSS compliant handset for the masses. BUT Nokia N9 is more open than Android/WebOS seems to be and is marketed for normal consumers with good hw.for an optimized OS. I say it still has a chance to sucess even if Elop may dissagree.....

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-26 at 21:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Was it even marketed at all, in mass media ?
So you think the sales (or lack thereof) was due to marketing only? Marketing in what areas/markets?

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by giorgosmit View Post
As for games... well, I don't really play games, at least not the high powered ones that require dual-core phones. I love mahjong on the N900, and similar mind games: sudoku, chess, freeciv, open TTD, etcetera, etcetera
You should try my Puzzle Master game, you'd like it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: