Something from InfoSync World:

"When comparing the Nokia N900 to Apple's iPhone, there are clearly many similarities. However, there's one big difference, at least up until recently: The iPhone exists to ensure that Apple's services and software will reach a portable audience also in the future, while the Nokia N900 will exist to pave the way for the LTE era. We seriously hope that Vodafone, Verizon Wireless and other carriers that are planning to roll out LTE early will embrace Maemo soon, as that would give 4G services a flying start."

EDIT: Added link to what LTE is.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@sachin: i don't think you're qualified to write the comparison in the first place for:
a). not having owned the iphone for 1st hand knowledge, as can be seen with the numerous factual error
b). blatant hatred of apple and iphone (bias)

This is clearly wrong.

sachin has never owned an iphone OR an N900, while you want it written by someone who has owned an Iphone and only an Iphone, since the N900 is not currently in sales.

So he is objective, and you are clearly biased.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Hi Guys ,

Posted a comparison between Nokia N900 and iPhone 3GS

Hope you help me answer the iPhone fanboys

The Following User Says Thank You to varunkrish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by volt View Post
This is clearly wrong.

sachin has never owned an iphone OR an N900, while you want it written by someone who has owned an Iphone and only an Iphone, since the N900 is not currently in sales.

So he is objective, and you are clearly biased.

Whether you owned or used a device at least get your facts straight which is what I tried to do in my last post. And, I never owned an iPhone. I own an iPod touch 2nd generation.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
I'll wait till Maemo is based on Gnu/Hurd
First you'll have to wait for the Hurd.

Of course get the facts straight. As far as I can tell, he had done research for each of these points to see how it is implemented in both devices. The people who pull out the "biased" word will only do research to prove him wrong, not to inform.

He's the better person for it.

Also, f.y.i, everyone is biased.

Specs and hardware and screen sizes are all nice and dandy...but they can be, and will be constantly improved through innovation. Wait a year and something newer and better will come out.

However there is a reason I avoid Apple like the plague...they are unfriendly to standards. They use proprietary cables and ports and hardware and software all the time which restricts my choices. They make other decisions that restrict me as well...non-multitasking...locked software...no expandable memory...and even batteries that cannot be removed.

Nokia restricts me much less...micro SD for memory expansion, no software restrictions (Or at the very least LESS restrictions), multitasking, removable battery. Freedom!! Or at least more of it.

This is the same reason I will not buy anything from Sony...I have no interest in Memory Stick ANYTHING...no matter how good their stuff is.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
I hope the sound quality of the N900 is much higher than that of the iPhone.

Because it is very difficult to have a good sound quality on a mobile phone (because of the radio transmitter).

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
One problem...

Not correct. iPhone 3G/3GS support TV Out via part number MB129LL and MB128LL at 480p - read here...
only for the gallery, not the whole device, as Nokia TV out devices always have.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
If you're not interested in the subject don't reply with noise. This way you respect those who are interested in the subject.

Only certain versions of Mac OS X 10.5.0 are UNIX (r) (tm).

However, you can use a stylus on the iPhone which resembles a finger.

At what performance cost though.

OTOH the iPhone OSK has good quality. Its interesting to note why the G1 with Android dropped keyboard.

Easily solved with jailbreak. Will Maemo 5 have equivelant of push notifications?

Idem dito, and Mobile Safari ad blocker costs 2 EUR or sth.

Those are just maps. Google Maps does not come with preloaded maps, but there are now 3rd party applications which come with offline maps. For voice guided turn by turn navigation on either device you have to pay a subscription. No matter if its TomTom or Ovi Maps, it will cost money.

Something like this is possible on iPhone with jailbreak.

With jailbreak you can make the iPhone's default interface more informative but by default you're right. This does give a peace of mind when you start though.

Agreed, good point, this would be something I'd have expected from Mac OS X and Apple.

Which PDF reader is being embedded here? Often holes are found in PDF readers.

Now some advantages of the iPhone 3GS:
1) Hype / trend.
2) Market penetration.
3) 'iPhone' always refers to latest device.
4) Big developer base.
5) Big user base.
6) iTunes integration, more known that Ovi.
7) Champion in UI consistency

And for N900:
1) Nokia brand recognition.
2) No childish App Store reviewing. Nokia doesn't have the name to censor and protect stuff like Apple does.
3) A clear, new path from Nokia.
4) Like you said the 32 GB flash on board with microSD slot is a huge advantage. Its pathetic the difference between devices price is only one feature: on-board flash size.
5) Many people own iPhone 3G instead of iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS is not a big upgrade compared to iPhone 3G, while the N900 will provide far better performance than iPhone 3G.
I was comparing with a non jail broken iphone.

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war