Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
its 125$ shipped when ordering just one piece from retailer...it can just get lower than that when ordering more than one

for instance this tablet costs 88$ when ordered in quantity of 501 or more
Which is fine if you're OK with the GPL violation. I suspect the price for a direct shipment is completely arbitrary on behalf of the OEM and a sizable percentage will be going to the PA project.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
You won't get RHEL errrrrm, fedora? for free without support. I tried two years ago. The same goes for SLES OPENSuse? and Oracle Fedora again?.
LinuxXP Fedora yet again... is shareware that wil stop working after 30 days unless you buy a license.
Linpus and Xandros (stand alone) have never been available in binary form without buying them. contains a lot of proprietary crap, i dont consider it FOSS
Caldera is discontinued. xandros is also discontinued

bottom line: You won't get any of the distributions I mentioned in binary form without paying for it, regardless whether you want support for it or not.
ten chars!

yeah...if this goes anywhere ill donate a sum of money to them that i consider fair, maybe even multiple times, depends on how long they continue to update the device...but im sure as hell not buying a device from them for this price and than risking to get stuck with an OS that is going nowhere...
If I were to worry about such things as an OS that is going nowhere, I would have never bought the N9 in the first place, so that's a non-argument for me at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to impact For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
actually they didnt develop it, not even 1% , are they going to share the money they earn with all the people that are developing linux for the last 20 years?
You explained to us in various posts now that

a) you don't understand what the point of this project is
b) you don't care much, anyway
and
c) you're not gonna get one

I understand all that.

What I don't understand:
Why are you still around? Are you trying to convince everybody here that they shouldn't support this project? Are you going to spill as much hatred as you can in this thread, hoping to make the only promising tablet project since the N810 fail?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I'd say if they sold it for US$190 (inc shipping) it would make a lot more sense.

At that price point they are effectively competing/undercutting the Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab (2010), Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet and the RIM PlayBook. And possibly the HTC Flyer too.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I'd say if they sold it for US$190 (inc shipping) it would make a lot more sense.

At that price point they are effectively competing/undercutting the Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab (2010), Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet and the RIM PlayBook. And possibly the HTC Flyer too.
yes, but this is how much it would cost me:
200€ for the tablet
around 30€ for shipping from EU to a neighboring croatia
15€ for some imaginery customs cost
than 23% tax on all that that comes to 300€ or 400$ so not such a nice price tag
and also there is a 35$ fee for certification from HAKOM(our agency for everything with any radio freq) so i can import it for personal use, and that is only if this tablet has EC declaration of conformity
i can buy an acer iconia tab a500 for that price here...

as for the guy above im rigt to have my opinion that is supported by facts, and i have a right to express it here and who doesnt want to read it doesn't have to, just because this is FOSS doesnt mean it should be overpriced or that we should settle for anything

i am the voice of reason here, deal with it

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-09 at 09:37.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Huh? So much trouble? I've never had issues bringing electronics / computer parts from US to DE, nor my colleagues. Sometimes, those were even shipped before from HK to US.

(You have 430EUR free for imports anyway, so no customs.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Huh? So much trouble? I've never had issues bringing electronics / computer parts from US to DE, nor my colleagues. Sometimes, those were even shipped before from HK to US.

(You have 430EUR free for imports anyway, so no customs.)
actualy if you are in germany its 45€ by post if i recal correctly from my time being there, and 430€ might be when personaly carying over the border
i have no custom for electronics(except some imaginary expenses...) just need to pay tax when value is over 20€ by post or 150€ personaly transported

for me the biggest problem is that ec declaration of conformity(certificate that it is in compliance with EU regulations) which is not neded for personal import in EU but is needed here...irony at its finest...

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
BTW, if you guys didn't see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wbyyA9X4Qk
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
actualy if you are in germany its 45€ by post if i recal correctly from my time being there, and 430€ might be when personaly carying over the border
i have no custom for electronics(except some imaginary expenses...) just need to pay tax when value is over 20€ by post or 150€ personaly transported

for me the biggest problem is that ec declaration of conformity(certificate that it is in compliance with EU regulations) which is not neded for personal import in EU but is needed here...irony at its finest...
Ok, i seldom get packages from (outside DE) directly; its almost always via personal transfer, either me or my colleagues. (It happened that i fed'exed something between offices and this seemed smooth going too.)

But if coming directly from HK (flash cards, devices), marking item as 'gift' or other tricks seems still to work - the last time i paid customs here was in 2002 i think, for a camera battery and grip (...).

Thanks for the explanation though. (Do you have someone outside Croatia as a kind of "freight-forwarder" for you?)