Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Motivation behind this post is that I'm sort of fearing for Nokia. After reading these threads and playing with the scratchbox and some small self-made programs, I've come into conclusion that N900 is targetted only to early adapters with technical skills.

The device is not for you if...

- You want solid end-user experience starting from today
- You're not technically skilled enough to work around some problems with software that you're installing
- You won't accept some missing functionality even if this mobile device provides you unique freedom
- You have never used linux (from command line) and lack the enthusiasm to learn

The reason I'm fearing for Nokia is that this device is going to kill their customer support with unexperienced users installing this and that. My thoughts are that this device has been way more popular than expected by Nokia. People here are requesting file managers that have no limitations, and jesus what that would do in hands of non-techie! And believe me, the stuff from development and testing is going to be installed by people who lack the required skills and the next day they're calling to Nokia support with a bricked device and requesting service based on warranty.

What comes to warranty, do you people know whether there are any limitations based on the software you install? From Nokia's point of view it would make sense to support only devices (excluding hardware issues) with software installed from Ovi Store.

I do believe Maemo will be a great thing for a non-techie also, but it will take its time. Personally I wouldn't want a device that requires hacking and has no physical keyboard, and this should be the case with next Maemo device which is scheduled to be released on Q3-Q4 2010. Nokia definitely has their hands full of work.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
If you keep your hands off extras-testing & devels, then you're unlikely to brick your device. + the normal end-user wouldn't know how to activate those options. I don't think it's so much that problem, but just the phone in general. It's just not what a "normal" user would expect, if they see an iPhone, they'll compare it saying; "oh, it's thick...and weird...and hasn't got much to do.....eh no"

So basically Nokia made a little mistake with taking it too far onto "unique" and leaving the basic day-to-day functionalities. I really wish MMS would work already now, & I doubt it'll come any time soon.

I've gone off this device for several reasons...& a big one is the waiting.
The "freedom" is just not enough to cut it off. + normal users don't look for freedom (or even know what it means for that matter) they just look for devices that offer a variety of stuff with a lot of cool applications.

I wish HD2 had TV-OUT.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by God View Post
If you keep your hands off extras-testing & devels, then you're unlikely to brick your device. + the normal end-user wouldn't know how to activate those options.
It's not that hard to activate those. I wouldn't underestimate the jungle drum here. One guy has a cool app from testing/dev and shows how to get it. Then you have the whole repository open.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Yes, there's tutorials on how to activate those options... but as I'm saying a very basic mobile-user, will never activate it! They won't search the internet & just install apps from it. + if they would, all the videos say that it's not MEANT for an end-user, so be careful! As I said, it's not the fact that's its *relatively easy* to brick your device, it's just the phone itself. It's basically designed & created for devs & geeks. Someone coming from an iphone or any other smartphone in that category, couldn't really adapt themselves on a brick like this. Whether it has it's freedom or not (freedom for hackers/devs/programmers, not for normal users). I wouldn't advise this phone to anyone who can't handle this platform.

Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Motivation behind this post is that I'm sort of fearing for Nokia. After reading these threads and playing with the scratchbox and some small self-made programs, I've come into conclusion that N900 is targetted only to early adapters with technical skills.

The device is not for you if...

- You want solid end-user experience starting from today
- You're not technically skilled enough to work around some problems with software that you're installing
- You won't accept some missing functionality even if this mobile device provides you unique freedom
- You have never used linux (from command line) and lack the enthusiasm to learn

The reason I'm fearing for Nokia is that this device is going to kill their customer support with unexperienced users installing this and that. My thoughts are that this device has been way more popular than expected by Nokia. People here are requesting file managers that have no limitations, and jesus what that would do in hands of non-techie! And believe me, the stuff from development and testing is going to be installed by people who lack the required skills and the next day they're calling to Nokia support with a bricked device and requesting service based on warranty.

What comes to warranty, do you people know whether there are any limitations based on the software you install? From Nokia's point of view it would make sense to support only devices (excluding hardware issues) with software installed from Ovi Store.

I do believe Maemo will be a great thing for a non-techie also, but it will take its time. Personally I wouldn't want a device that requires hacking and has no physical keyboard, and this should be the case with next Maemo device which is scheduled to be released on Q3-Q4 2010. Nokia definitely has their hands full of work.

I would have to say that there is an amount of truth in your comments. however the device is very user friendly from the outset if you spend time familiarising rather than loading every App, emulator and widget out there. I am by no means a techie however i invested a lot of time researching and reading up on the device and have to say i am happier than expected with the way it can work for you. Yes there are going to be a number of users out there who are going to go hell for leather downloading every tested and un around only to find it doesnt work as well as expected, similar to someone who installs every applcation on their PC from discs included on a magazine and then discovers issues. why would the n900 be any different? the average user in nokias eyes would use Ovi or maemo.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
i think you CAN use the n900 if you dont know how to use linux and dont want to learn it.
i mean, there is a reason why everything is "hidden" behind a pretty user interface.
no one who needs to learn linux to use the n900.

obviously you cant go "deep" on the n900 if you dont, but none of the major features requires hardcore linux-experience.