Notices

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by helex View Post
I hope you like this solution!
GREAT! This looks very promising.

I guess this will do the trick for me. Thanks a lot. Your small tool is one of the most useful applications on my device!

I use it a lot more than on my N900 before. Great work!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
This looks very promising.
I got this afternoon the confirmation email for ClipMan and ClipManLite from the Ovi Store.
The update should popup at your device soon or check manually for updates at "settings" - "Applications" - "Manage applications" - second tab and then the button at the upper right corner.

Please test and give feedback if something works unexpected.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Another GREAT news for all current and future N9 / N950 ClipMan users:

The X-Terminal for the Nokia N9 gets finally support for the Clipboard!

That's really good news, especially for me. This way I'm finally able to store often used commands inside ClipMan.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Please test and give feedback if something works unexpected.
Sooo found the update, updated, tested... I must say it doesn't work as expected.

It works far better! Thanks Dude!

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-11-24 at 15:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
I guess it is now official and I just wan't to say thankyou. My small Application ClipMan participated at our Community Coding Competition and won the 3rd place! Yay!

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL VOTERS!

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
So... no update from me since I'm currently working on a completly rewrite of my DreamRemote application. (coming soon)
But I'm just curious why it is so silent in this thread because according to the download statistics from the ovi store there are quite a lot ClipMan users out there.

Are there no bug reports, no complaints and no feature requests?

Are there no bug reports, no complaints and no feature requests?
No, it simply works and does a great job since the last update! No need to write here anything else than: Thanks dude!

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
New update:

I'm not sure what benefit I have to be a Qt Ambassador but at least Nokia published a small page about ClipMan on their webseite: Link
...and as far as I know I could get a nice T-Shirt...

So since there are no bug reports, no feature requests and Nokia rated ClipMan as good enought for their Ambassador showcase page I guess I should be fine to say my Project ClipMan is finished.
I hope everyone own soon a DreamBox. My next app is in the pipeline.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
ClipMan is a very clever little tool. Well done on getting the thumbs up from Nokia.

The bugs I'd raise are't really bugs at all but a feature requests. The programme works well but as with all software, it could be extened/refactored.
- For me, ClipMan would be more useful if it were to run as a deamon (automatically starting at boot). Then, the only reason the user would have to access the full interface would be to clear the cache or edit an item. Otherwise, it would work just like a copy-paste with persistence.
- When running in the background, items further down the list (i.e. not last copied item) could be pasted from a drop-down menu accessed from the system toolbar (whatever it's proper name is!).

Those ideas aside, nice work helex! 14 months. You put most of us to shame with the speed you picked up C++. A really dedicated effort. Amazing!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Sorry for my late reply, pre-christmas-stress...

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The bugs I'd raise are't really bugs at all but a feature requests. The programme works well but as with all software, it could be extened/refactored.
- For me, ClipMan would be more useful if it were to run as a deamon (automatically starting at boot). Then, the only reason the user would have to access the full interface would be to clear the cache or edit an item. Otherwise, it would work just like a copy-paste with persistence.
Ah, yes... this is still missing. I have this nightmare totally forgotten!

This is the current state:

I have done a lot of testing, I guess it was in July, before or short after I went to Munich for a Intel event. I tried it based on a multiplatform example from the Qt website. It was so complicated with all this windows stuff but I thought I would need it because of my purpose to port ClipMan across all platforms (N900, Harmattan, MeeGo, Linux Desktop and Windows) - I failed miserably - on all platforms. I had no chance to debug my code, have still not understood where it failed and was unable to check if my daemon is even trying to start up or not.

At this point I have to admit, I began with my Linux expirience with my N900 and have at home still a Desktop with Windows XP. So it was for me perhaps a lot of unknown stuff at a single blow.

At this point some free Hardware from Intel and MeeGo dropped in and I learned all this qml stuff to get ClipMan ported to MeeGo Tablet (to get a ned SSD Harddisk from Intel) and later the N9... and now the year is over.

Well, I axed in the meantime my plans for a Desktop version and Intel axed the requirement for a MeeGo tablet version. I guess it should be a lot more easier to do it only for maemo 5 and maemo 6 (MeeGo-Harmattan).

Hm, and from my current point of view I would also try to avoid the opaque packaging system of the Qt creator. It's a pain for me. But I have to learn first how to do it otherwise.

I had also the problem that I tried at the same time to figure out how to deaktivate a daemon from a different application and how to enable it without the need to be root. Simply to give the users a choice... I guess I have in the meantime a simple solution for this troblem.

I would now try to create a completely seperated package for this. A new application, containing only the daemon. This way everyone would get a choice if they would like to keep the daemon running in the background or not. Those who don't like it should only install ClipMan, those who would like a additional daemon are able to install the daemon in addition.

I guess ClipMan should work with this daemon together without changes. It would simply check a second time, after the daemon, if the new content in the clipboard is already stored in the database or not. Duplicate work but it shouldn't slow down the whole process noticeable.

Hmm... I learned a lot of stuff during the past months, so perhaps a second try is this time a little bit more promising.

I want to spent during the next 2 weeks some time with my family, my girlfriend and I would like to release soon my new DreamRemote (it is a complete rewrite because I done my first version using the slow python and I don't like how it works currently). I'm working at the moment hard on the user interface, the database backend for the settings and the communication part. I would like to finish this before I frustrate myself with this daemon stuff. So perhaps early 2012... stay tuned!

- When running in the background, items further down the list (i.e. not last copied item) could be pasted from a drop-down menu accessed from the system toolbar (whatever it's proper name is!).
Okay, possible. At least at the N900. But look how many space each plugin and menu entry there has. I would say there is at maximum space to access the last 4 items, not more. Look at my other project: Conky Layout Switcher. But then we would have there only 4 Buttons, no space for a indication what is at this place in the clipboard. At the moment I would say it is faster and easier to simply start ClipMan and select the item there.

You can put there a button to get to ClipMan using the tool "Quick Launch" and using "ShortCutD" you are able to switch fast beween ClipMan and your current application.
I would say there is currently rather a bigger demand for a daemon instead of a drop-down menu. Or have I misunderstood how it should work?

Those ideas aside, nice work helex! 14 months. You put most of us to shame with the speed you picked up C++. A really dedicated effort. Amazing!
Thanks a lot. I have to admit, the lines at this Qt ambassador page is very compact but I thought there is no need to place there my biography.
I developed before several years Software using Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 and I learned C at school. So I had only to refresh my dusted C knowledge and learn all the Object oriented C++ stuff. Okay, this part was hard. Qt was with this fundamentals in contrast easy so learn but the qml and Qt Quick stuff was and is finally a real challenge for me.
And I have to bear in mind, I had nearly no Linux knowledge before except to copy my timer table from my Linux based satellite receiver to my Windows desktop.