Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
My N800 was discontinued years ago but I still use it almost daily and it's still amazing with excellent build quality (Made in Finland). A lot of people are still amazed by what it can do but not in Finland unfortunately My wife will get the N8 so I will have something new to play with soon

I'll see what the N9 shapes up to be. I love the larger screen but I'm not looking forward to going back to a capacitive screen after the iPhone.

I think I'll be sticking with the N900. It has everything I need. The N800 is still getting app updates and even new apps after all these years so I expect the N900 to do the same, not to mention all the Qt apps and games coming our way soon!

Last edited by maluka; 2010-09-12 at 01:12.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
"have the exact sentiments with Nokia. no matter what spec the next flagship is, I wont buy Nokia again."

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by CodeNote View Post
english is my second language. im not panicking neither am i worried.
yes i love my n900.... if you read my previous post you will see that im developing for the n900.

i was just stating on how i FELT when i heard the news.....

by the way nokia is closed to the public but not all of nokia staff leaves the building. some do work on projects that requires time on satdays and sundays and yes i do have a number or two to contact people on.

you read my previous posts you will notice that i have bought or recieved all the latest phone on the market... yes i do have them all..... and like i said in previous posts.... the n900 is what i use everyday...

peace
CN
What is your primary language so I can ask the question again?

Quo vadis, dude?

It's Saturday. Maybe this "guy" you talked to was the janitor or suttin' because the business week for most ended last night around 5 PM.

We just had a few members join from Brazil where the N900 was officially launched just two weeks ago on August 27. The price they would have paid was 1700 Real or about $970 USD.

>> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/art...spx?cid=753429

I wonder how they FEEL when they see your news that you heard from a "guy" at Nokia some where?

Maybe this guy was OPK his own dang self and he picked up the phone while he was packing up his stuff. Perhaps he wanted to get a few laughs on his way out the door as his way of saying, AMF's.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-09-12 at 02:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Wait, what is the problem here ? Even if they stop selling it, all the software is still there and Extras will still get new stuff it's getting now.
I think one of the concerns, and often rightfully so, is that the end of an OS (no further support from the manufacturer) means that third-party developers of 'commercial grade' applications (and yes, there are of course some apps that are free and rivals commercial ones) will have no interest in updating and/or releasing products for the platform. That became evident really quickly for for instance the N810 and support of applications such as Skype.

For Maemo5 it will mean the same now. Games is a good example as high quality games (graphics, stable, etc) are very hard to get outside of the commercial, larger companies. There might well be Qt ports, community developments, etc but closed-source, commercial applications will now not come to any Maemo platform.

I know that it's popular to say that 'the phone still works the same in 6 months as it does today' - but for some people community development and hacks/mods are not enough as they also value products outside of what an open source community on a small platform can deliver. For those people a discontinuation of a phone (and in this particular case - an OS at the same time) does indeed make it much less valuable. How many times can one really play Angry Birds and sit by and watch mainstream applications and games come to your iOS, Android platforms - and not feel left out?

I'm not saying that community development and ooen sourced apps and games are bad - some are very, very good but I think it's unfair to continue to repeat that tired chant 'the phone will still continue to work' as there are more aspects than that to consider.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I think one of the concerns, and often rightfully so, is that the end of an OS (no further support from the manufacturer) means that third-party developers of 'commercial grade' applications (and yes, there are of course some apps that are free and rivals commercial ones) will have no interest in updating and/or releasing products for the platform. That became evident really quickly for for instance the N810 and support of applications such as Skype.

For Maemo5 it will mean the same now. Games is a good example as high quality games (graphics, stable, etc) are very hard to get outside of the commercial, larger companies. There might well be Qt ports, community developments, etc but closed-source, commercial applications will now not come to any Maemo platform.

I know that it's popular to say that 'the phone still works the same in 6 months as it does today' - but for some people community development and hacks/mods are not enough as they also value products outside of what an open source community on a small platform can deliver. For those people a discontinuation of a phone (and in this particular case - an OS at the same time) does indeed make it much less valuable. How many times can one really play Angry Birds and sit by and watch mainstream applications and games come to your iOS, Android platforms - and not feel left out?

I'm not saying that community development and ooen sourced apps and games are bad - some are very, very good but I think it's unfair to continue to repeat that tired chant 'the phone will still continue to work' as there are more aspects than that to consider.
...and reports of the N900's death may be greatly exaggerated.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-09-12 at 03:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I hate to sound like a mindless N900 fanboy, but, it really doesn't concern me whether my phone stops being sold by the manufacturer... I probably won't keep my N900 as long as some people here have been using their 770/800/810... But I did buy another one when I saw the $200 deal through nokiausa. Need to send in my rebate now

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
...and reports of the N900's death may be greatly exaggerated.
Sure, but if it's today or in 4-5 months from now the above still stands.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Meh. Continued sales are overrated.

Continued and official support though? Different beast altogether.

Good luck on that last one. Mine should be here in a week.

Yep. NokiaUSA said they'd give me that $199 price even despite the probs ordering one earlier during that promotion.
Let me know how that rebate goes for you. My flip-swap phone has been with them for a week according to USPS and Nokia still hasn´t acknowledged receiving it.

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
We just had a few members join from Brazil where the N900 was officially launched just two weeks ago on August 27. The price they would have paid was 1700 Real or about $970 USD.

>> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/art...spx?cid=753429

I wonder how they FEEL when they see your news that you heard from a "guy" at Nokia some where? ,
I'm from Brazil and I can say it happened before, as far as I remember N810 didn't last 6 months after they started selling it here. In fact, there were no updates to it's OS after it was launched. For N900, there was no great advertising, Ovi Store still don't have any paid apps, and I never saw it in any store (just online) so don't think it's going to be different, thought I really hope it will.
Anyway, community is still mantaining N800 and N810 OS, an update was launched recently. Maybe that will happen to N900 too, if all the devellopers don't buy the next phone and forget about the olders (see nitdroid for N8X0).

I have to agree with silvermountain, I'm not criticizing the N900 but I cannot see holding on to it now. I remember a few months ago when this was all talk and no one believed it would happen, well it has. I'm not sure of my next phone, maybe I will go back to my N95, maybe I shouldn't have left it.

Tags
delusion, ebay.com