Active Topics

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
What's the point of having the widget or Maemo shows you the contents of the text message if you still have to go in it for it to be marked as read?

Is there or can we develop a way of marking text messages as read in a more convenient way?

Like if you close the preview window of an incoming text message instead of pressing on it, it would mark it as read.

I don't even mind having some kind of separate widget to just mark all unread texts as read on your desktop or something.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to late666 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Really?

No one else is bugged by this? Having to open up the text message just to make it read?

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I would also like to see something like this. It has been bugging me for a while now

fAircrack (Aircrack GUI): Point-and-click pwnage for your N900
Now with John the Ripper integration

totally agree with you. very annoying.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by late666 View Post
What's the point of having the widget or Maemo shows you the contents of the text message if you still have to go in it for it to be marked as read?
IIRC
click little icon in bottom left on widget.

Like if you close the preview window of an incoming text message instead of pressing on it, it would mark it as read.

I don't even mind having some kind of separate widget to just mark all unread texts as read on your desktop or something.
I´m sorry but in most use cases what you are saying here doesn´t make lot sense.

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-26 at 23:36.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New Delhi, India
wat abt deleting multiple texts in a convo??
can we select and delete more than one text in a conversation without deleting the whole of it??

if you click the number in the bottom left of the conversation widget it marks it as read.

Originally Posted by Char View Post
if you click the number in the bottom left of the conversation widget it marks it as read.
This misses the point. I have plenty of 'phantom' unread messages which don't get displayed by the widget. I can post screen shots if you don't believe me...

The conversations application shows that I have loads of unread messages from certain contacts but there's no way of navigating them or even ascertaining which ones they are. I suspect that the IM ones are generated by being logged in in more than one place and recieving multiple messages in a short space of time. I'm not sure how the text message ones are generated; for some contacts I've opened every single message they've ever sent to me and I still have unread messages from them. Either there are hidden messages (bug) or the unread count implementation is buggy.

What I'd like is a simple option to "mark all messages as read"
or "mark all messages from this contact as read".

that could be possible with a bit of sql magic
see: ~/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db

i did a minor bit of research
xterminal:
Code:
cd .rtcom-eventlogger
cp el-v1.db el-v1.db.bak
sqlite3 el-v1.db
don't miss the ;
(the cp step is optional, it just backs up your database in case something goes wrong)
Code:
update Events set is_read = 1 where is_read = 0 and event_type_id = 11;
.quit
killall rtcom-messaging-ui
and all your messages will be marked as read
if you simply want to see your unread messages then
Code:
select * from Events where event_type_id = 11 and is_read = 0;
will work inside sqlite3

if something wrong happens simply copy el-v1.db.bak back to el-v1.db and killall rtcom-messaging-ui, everything /should/ be fine again

Last edited by Char; 2011-01-17 at 08:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Char For This Useful Post:
I'm not entirely convinced that event_type_id = 11 is correct above; at least it wasn't for me.

You did however point me in the direction of a solution. Thank you!

The code that solved the problem for me was the following:

Code:
update GroupCache set read_events = total_events where read_events != total_events;
.quit
killall rtcom-messaging-ui
This has removed the spurious unread marks in the conversations application. Success! However, it's not corrected the unread counts within the Conversations Inbox desktop widget which seems to be getting its unread marks from elsewhere. I'll try rebooting to see whether that helps; removing and readding the widget did not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doctor Patch For This Useful Post: