Posts: 52 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Maidstone, UK
I don't know about you, but the more I use my N900 the more important it becomes to me and the more I dread the thought of it being lost or stolen. Not only is it an expensive bit of kit, it also holds a lot of personal data which I would hate to lose and private information which could cause me a lot of trouble if it was to get in the wrong hands (remembered passwords in microB, anyone?).

Therefore, I think we need to put together a security (anti-theft/loss) suite for the N900. Here are some ideas I came up with in another thread:

Originally Posted by elepedus View Post
Maybe a daemon which checks a webserver for an arbitrary file and, if it finds it, puts the device into retrieval mode.
This can trigger the device to

*create a file with its IP address on the server
*update the file every time the IP adress changes
*launch an ssh server and listen for a connection
*grab all (pre-specified) private data and put it into an encrypted archive (with a user pre-defined passkey)
*sync the archive with the server
*delete the data
*put the device into a power-saving mode by closing all desktop widgets, disabling bluetooth and capping the processor at 200mhz

The owner can then log in to the ssh server and
*check battery levels
*read gps location data
*use front camera
*trigger the phone to make outgoing calls/send txt/email

Maybe we could go further and have a database of IMEIs of stolen N900s. This can be installed and updated via the app manager. Snippets of code can then be provided for developers to embed into their apps which check the devices IMEI against the database and disable the app and put the device into retrieval mode.

This is just off the top of my head, but you get the idea.
Unfortunately, I have very little programming knowledge, but hopefully some willing and able members of the community will be able to take up the call. I will definitely do whatever I can to get this rolling.

I really hope that we can make the N900 a thief's worst nightmare.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to elepedus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
you know what..................this is going to turn out to be something great!

N900 APP REVIEW SITE IS NOW LIVE
http://maemoappreviews.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Anwarboy11 View Post
you know what..................this is going to turn out to be something great!
I really hope so. I love my N900 too much to risk losing it like that

this is an AWSOME idea. I have been waiting for a program like this for a while now.
I hope some of the great minds in here can come together for such a great program.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
It would be great if someone got this to work.
But is there anyone out there who can and will do this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Crom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
Tough this is a great idea and I really would hate to get my N900 stolen or lost, don't you think this would be very complicated to use for noobs like me (ssh server and so on )

What about a new version of Nokias "5-Step-Plan" ?
Step 1:
A possibility to erase all private data from the device including SD-card by sending a data-package (Contacts, Conversations, Mailaccounts, Pictures, Docs...)
If the phone gets stolen, it is very likely that the Simcard will be changed by the bad guy, because locking the Sim takes at least a few minutes for each Provider - so there we need a solution for the case, that the bad mans Simcard includes no Dataplan
Step 2:
A possibility to totally brick the device by sending a data-package - if I can't use it, nobody else should
This would be fantastic with the option to unlock it again with a special code requested before booting (like bios-pw in Windows). There should also be no option to reflash the device with new firmware before entering the code....
Step 3+4+5: All mentioned above

To bad I have absolutely no idea of programming...

CU - M_99

Originally Posted by Crom View Post
It would be great if someone got this to work.
But is there anyone out there who can and will do this?
I'm not sure I can, but I will most certainly try.

Originally Posted by M_99 View Post
Tough this is a great idea and I really would hate to get my N900 stolen or lost, don't you think this would be very complicated to use for noobs like me (ssh server and so on )
There may well be ways to create a simple graphical interface for this or implement simpler scripts which contain the commands.
I.e: Instead of having a long command to query GPS location, put the long command in a script called "location.sh" and run the script, etc.

Originally Posted by M_99 View Post
What about a new version of Nokias "5-Step-Plan" ?
Step 1:
A possibility to erase all private data from the device including SD-card by sending a data-package (Contacts, Conversations, Mailaccounts, Pictures, Docs...)
If the phone gets stolen, it is very likely that the Simcard will be changed by the bad guy, because locking the Sim takes at least a few minutes for each Provider - so there we need a solution for the case, that the bad mans Simcard includes no Dataplan
Step 2:
A possibility to totally brick the device by sending a data-package - if I can't use it, nobody else should
This would be fantastic with the option to unlock it again with a special code requested before booting (like bios-pw in Windows). There should also be no option to reflash the device with new firmware before entering the code....
Step 3+4+5: All mentioned above

To bad I have absolutely no idea of programming...

CU - M_99
I've been thinking about the possibility of the thief's SIM not having a data plan and I'm not really sure how to deal with it. The "iamhere" app seems to deal with the whole business by text message, but you can't sms someone if you don't know their number so I'm confused .

So far I'm just hoping that they will connect to wifi or something, but that's not really a good long-term solution. Hopefully I'll think of something, or someone else will come up with a good suggestion.

I have faith in the maemo.org community.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
Sad to say I don't know much about this, but my company is able to erase all data on a stolen/lost blackberry.
And when I remember of the i-Phone 4G Prototype which was bricked by Apple while in Engadget's hands - there has to be a solution.

Could it be the IMEI, which makes it possible to identify the device being "on air" - afaik it is sent every time the device is logged on a providers net ?
Is there a possibility to send commands or skripts not to a specific number but to a specific IMEI ?

CU - M_99

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by elepedus View Post
The "iamhere" app seems to deal with the whole business by text message, but you can't sms someone if you don't know their number so I'm confused .
The Iamhere app used the changing of the sim card as a trigger to send an out-bound sms/email. Once you recieve that, then you'd have the new number.

The Following User Says Thank You to zvogt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Here is a possible flow for a device retrieval application

Front End

Have GUI request form that will:
  • Store the IMSI
  • Store emergency contact number
  • Allow owner to record 'This phone is lost or stolen, please contact (emergency contact number)'.
  • Prepend and append three loud beeps to message.
  • Store message in ringtone folder.

Back End
  • Have the N900 check the IMSI upon boot.
  • Compare the IMSI upon boot to stored IMSI
  • If same end
  • If current IMSI<> than stored IMSI then collect new IMSI; new Caller Line number, active cell, GPS coordinates.
  • Set profile to General
  • Set ringtone to 'this phone is lost or stolen, please contact (stored emergency contact number)
  • Write collected information to SMS.
  • Send SMS to emergency contact number.
  • Take front photo
  • Send front photo to emergency contact number using fMMS.
  • Using cpufreq command set maximum frequency to 250 MHz
  • Set phone to reboot every 180 seconds.

This will send, at three minute intervals, the new number, IMSI, image, active cell and GPS location of the phone. This will also semi-cripple the device through repeated rebooting and low processer speed.

Last edited by tzsm98; 2010-05-30 at 18:59. Reason: misplaced comma!

Tags
steal my n900