Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Maybe people send pictures more often, I don't know but I doubt it, but it is the other things that is the must-have.
I doubt it not. Sending pictures would be the most used feature of MMS. Not many people are aware of the capability to send other items other than pictures.
Also this might explain why fmms was designed to send images, since MMS evolved from picture messaging.
The immediate predecessor to the MMS is the Japanese picture messaging system Sha-Mail introduced by J-Phone in 2001. It validated the concept of camera phone users willing to send picture messages from one phone to another.
Also, "Sucks" is a negative word. It implies the item is rubbish and of no use to anyone. fmms is not rubbish. Many users use it here and most are more than satisfied. Maybe replace the word sucks with "disliked" or something less offensive.

Edit: forgot to mention the source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service

Last edited by Blaizzen; 2010-11-18 at 09:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
Also, "Sucks" is a negative word. It implies the item is rubbish and of no use to anyone. fmms is not rubbish. Many users use it here and most are more than satisfied. Maybe replace the word sucks with "disliked" or something less offensive.
Oh behold! Iīm the savior of all you who are so easily amused. You idiots who vote this app:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/fmms/
And downloaded it (887736 times) just donīt know shait about things. I know how things should be (The truth) done and to drive my motives I simply and naturally use negative force to push people to target of my own. We are adults and we get our creative force and will power to do stuff for free from people who like to blast our freetime projects.

Fo F sake this is not some quest for American Idol or Hellīs kitchen. After all ercisson your main target or need is better MMS client and I surely assure that the way how you are interpreting yourself and giving feedback it surely stays your dream so you are basically shooting yourself in the foot. What are you trying to accomplish in long run with feedback what you are giving here. You could have pointed nicely out features from specifications and do tables that show what is missing but....oh well...has someone done something bad to you?

Sometimes people should put themselves in pub having same conversation as they are having in Internet and think again what they are saying. Needles to say that I have couple of times managed to avoid good old panda look just by going away. Sadly physical violence or possibility of it doesnīt work in Internet.

You want better MMS client? Client that doesnīt suck. So what Iīm assuming wrongly? You do realize that itīs possible to make FMMS better.

Saying it sucks is not maybe outrageous but still unbelievable stupid when you clearly want just MMS app that doesnīt suck in your terms. Like I said. Shooting yourself in the foot.

And thanks counting in first two post explains everything.

So what about that table with features so we can compare analytically different MMS apps and make suggestions.

Last edited by slender; 2010-11-20 at 09:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
It's funny, or should I say symptomatic, how most of you assume (wrongly) what my motives are and what I am looking for, even though they are clearly stated in my first post, and repeated many times since.

I can only answer again: get your heads out of your asses. Having an opinion that an app suck is hardly that outrageous. And why, IMHO, it sucks is also repeated many times.
All I know is I just received a photo with sound file attached via fMMS (you know something you said was not possible because the app sucks). Guess I should forget about all of those videos that people send me as well. In fact, I can receive just about anything people send me.

@ericsson - seriously, get over it. The app doesn't do what you think it should - maybe if you formulated a list of items you would like it to do and submitted to Frals or any other dev working on the project, they will be added to a feature queue and implemented in the future. That is how you make software better - not by b*tching about what it doesn't do.

You knew the N900 didn't have MMS support when you bought it (and the reason why in reality was initially due to a limitation in the Linux kernel that Frals was able to circumvent). Why did you buy the device if MMS was so important to you?

BTW, pointing to a 500 page specification - also not the right approach.

-DJ

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by dannycamps View Post
BTW, pointing to a 500 page specification - also not the right approach.
It is the ONLY approach if you want to do i right, and be certain MMS behave the right way.

You too, a complete analphabet asking for a table of features for analytical comparison. Christ almighty!!!
This should not be so (to borrow your words) outrageous pal. Pure an simple feature table that shows what we are able to do with fmms and what possibly different symbian/android/iOS mms applications are able to do. Thatīs what community and this place is for.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Please tell me what kind of file fMMS is currently unable to receive which is NOT filtered by your provider (ie within fMMS control) and I will be happy to make sure it shows up in the UI.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by frals View Post
Please tell me what kind of file fMMS is currently unable to receive which is NOT filtered by your provider (ie within fMMS control) and I will be happy to make sure it shows up in the UI.
With all due respect frals, you are missing the point entirely. MMS = multimedia messaging != ad hoc file transfer service using MMS protocols.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
My 'bug' in this thread was that I assumed wrongly that most of you (at least the ones using fMMS) actually used MMS in the manner most people do, using the normal functionality.
Any source or proof of how 'most' people use MMS?

Maybe people send pictures more often, I don't know...
Ah, right, so you don't know!

How about actually getting some usage figures and finding out what people actually use MMS for before making these wild claims.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
fyi: fmms saved my gfs weekend. she wanted to have my manual film camera and had zero knowledge about how to use it. she took it anyway with her (with my permission).

luckily I have two almost similar ones so yesterday I took some photos from essential parts and mmsed 'em to my gf along with kiss text instructions.

I asked if she had received them via sms and after couple hours a message popped to my phone and when I opened it, fmms opened and there was beautiful landscape taken with her camera phone while she was already exposuring film....

e: sending pictures has always been the only use case for mms for me. tried to send couple videos but size restriction was so ridiculous that you had to include a text describing what is happening in the video... and I have had practically unlimited mmses with my contract since 2007 or similar....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-11-20 at 11:18.

Tags
fmms rules, mms or pms, never happy, op is a bumder, op is a douche, op is an idiot, op is on rag, op needs a slap, op sucks, thanks frals