Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Wow, thanks a lot! I've used your pointers and fixed the Monav Server based offline routing on the N900. I've also released an updated tarball, so you - and anyone else who wants to help with testingt - can check it works correctly now:
http://modrana.org/tarballs/modrana/...-0.54.6.tar.gz

As for the other issues:

Address routing - that's actually expected behavior, as Monav does only point to point routing (+ waypoints along the route, IIRC) based on geographic coordinate pairs. It does not support gecoding (turning addresses to coordinates), so it can't work for address-to-address routing when the device is offline. But of course a sensible error message should be shown in such a case, not a traceback.

Handmade routing (basically, "draw your own route" and let modRana follow it) - it indeed seems pretty broken, not just on the N900, but also when running the GTK GUI on desktop. And it looks like it has been this way for quite some time. Will have to look into it more later.
That is great, thanks a lot!

Now it is working fine for me - even better, because now user_config.conf and map_config.conf weren't overwritten (I use my own tiles located elsewhere than the stock "OpenStreetMap I" folder so at every update I had to define that location in the config files)

Hmm, now I understand - and yes, an error message would be great or maybe it would be even better if offline routing is set then user could not click on address to address navigation.

Last edited by justmemory; 2017-03-29 at 12:07. Reason: Typo...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Big thanks to @MartinK for continuing to release for N900.

I am trying the new version and just did an online route calculation between two addresses in my city. It routed correctly although the dialog that popped up allowing to step through the navigation steps initially had 4,200ish kms. I assumed this was the journey distance and hence a miscalculation, as the two addresses are only about 5 kms apart.

However, now I think it was because my initial GPS location was somewhere out in the ocean and it was possibly calculating based on that, i.e. distance from (believed) current location to this navigation point. Could that be the case?

During the course of my writing this comment it corrected itself anyway.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
modRana 0.54.7 has been released!

This is just a bugfix release that fixes an issue with using the OSM Scout Server for offline tile rendering.

Previously modRana used its default tile download timeout (10 seconds) also for the OSM Scout Server locally rendered tile layers. In some cases (especially if many new tiles were requested at once) OSM Scout Server might not be able to render the tile in time and the tile download requests would time out. ModRana would then retry the tile download like it does with normal online tile downloads, making OSM Scout Server even more overloaded and effectively asking it to render the tile again. :P

Thanks a lot to Rinigius for reporting the issue and providing the initial version of the fix!

To fix this I've added support for having different timeout parameters for each map layer and simply disabled time download timeouts for the OSM Scout Server layers. This way online tile downloads should time out after 10 seconds as before (or you can set your own timeout now in map_config.conf) and OSM Scout Server should now have enough time to finish tile rendering without being asked for the same tile multiple times.

Changelog
Code:
- don't timeout while OSM Scout Server is still rendering a tile

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
While debugging OSM Scout Server interaction with modRana, I found out that the extra border added to each tile for consistent labeling was scaled in Mapnik by the scale factor. This is in addition to the scaling that I did in the server code (great minds think alike). This slowed down tile generation significantly and was more visible in modRana's case which is asking for smaller tiles.

Next release of the server will have the fix for double scaling that leads to the faster rendering of the tiles.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Spain
When I open modrana, it's stuck in 'starting Modrana...' screen.

I've unistalled an installed, but this issue goes on.

Originally Posted by carmenluci View Post
When I open modrana, it's stuck in 'starting Modrana...' screen.

I've unistalled an installed, but this issue goes on.
What modRana version do you have - 0.54.7 ? Also what device & Sailfish OS version (asking just in case - there have been device & Sailfish OS version specific issues in the past).

Provided that you have terminal installed, could you run:
Code:
sailfish-qml harbour-modrana
And send me the output ?

Thanks in advance!

Also worst case you might try downgrading to an older version - the OpenRepos page has quite a few older packages available:
https://openrepos.net/content/martink/modrana-0

UPDATE: Looks like Jolla Store QA managed to hit the bug as well and I've created a fix based on the traceback they've sent me. So try installing 0.54.8 - it should fix the crash/endless starting up screen.

Last edited by MartinK; 2017-07-04 at 02:00.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
modRana 0.54.8 has been released!
The Jolla Store QA confirmed my fix has been effective, so time for a release post!

Other than the fix for the map config file parsing crash this release mainly contains fixes and improvements for POI search.

POI search results now have better looking clickable markers that provide additional information about the given POI, POI searches can now be correctly canceled and OSM Scout Server based local search has been fixed and should be now again working correctly.

Changelog
Code:
- fix map config parsing related crash
- fix OSM Scout Server local search
- fixed search in progress indicator
- improved & clickable POI makers
- POI details are displayed on click

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Spain
I was using 0.54.7 in my Jolla1 with SailfishOS 2.1.0.11, but 0.54.8 works fine, thank you for the update!!

Originally Posted by carmenluci View Post
I was using 0.54.7 in my Jolla1 with SailfishOS 2.1.0.11, but 0.54.8 works fine, thank you for the update!!
Nice! It's always good to have confirmation a bug has really been fixed.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I have been seeing a lot of activity on github for this project lately, this is great.
However, I noticed no new packages for Maemo in a while. I assumed maybe you where working on getting the QT5 version upto the same standard as GTK. I recall you mentioning this a while back.

Reading the thread back you are no longer setup for local building of the package so haven't pushed packages to the autobuilder.
Is there anyway the community can help get these releases to Maemo?

I propose that if there are no major issues with 0.53.1 over 0.43.4, I don't recall any, that the current version is promoted to Extras (promotion is unlocked). That way going forward you could release to Extras-Devel with minimal testing.
That repo is for development builds after all, we should be using it for it's intended purpose.

I am not sure if there is much to benefit from the current build over the ones I have (0.53.1), but assume it's still the same as before that I can download the latest tarball and run it directly for both desktop and N900?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps