Active Topics

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by sixfingeredamish View Post
They didn't want to market two phones. Heck, the N9 was only released to create excitement for the Lumia 800 and to keep the employees happy.

Also, according to Kralyevich, everyone agreed that the future of the smartphone was a full touchscreen with no keyboard.
I think smart"phone" now is more an entertainment device than a tool. Perhaps it's correct that "smartphone" doesn't need a keyboard but a "pocket PC" definitely needs one. And the market needs an alternative other than full-screen.

But anyway hopefully later this year we can build one by ourselves.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
So he flew to Espoo (he was based in London, like Peter Skillman, etc), and had a one on one meeting with Elop and convinced him to ditch the hardware keyboard,
Bring me the head of Brian Kralyevich

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Bring me the head of Brian Kralyevich

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
After being deeply disappointed that the n950 was not released I did buy the N9 (Singapore version) although it did not have support in US. Not too long after that I decided to get the original Galaxy Note because it had a much larger screen. I just did not like how small the screen was on N9 with the virtual keyboard, even though the N9's keyboard, in itself, was pretty good. The Note also had the stylus which I always liked to use with my beloved N900. Surprising, in many respects the original Note, with ice cream sandwich, could do multitasking better than current versions of Android. For example you could open two browsers and simultaneously play two Youtube videos. Try doing that nowadays on android. I think Nokia was big enough to have both N9 and N950 as products. At least for a awhile. Would have probably been been swallowed up by the Apple and Android ecosystems anyways, but it would have been fun while it lasted.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
They didn't want to market two phones. Heck, the N9 was only released to create excitement for the Lumia 800 and to keep the employees happy.

Also, according to Kralyevich, everyone agreed that the future of the smartphone was a full touchscreen with no keyboard.
I've heard, that Nokia HAD TO release at least one device with MeeGo, because it was so written in the contract between Nokia and Intel. It would explain, why Elop killed the project so fast just after release.. But it can also be a rumour

Nokia 5110 --> Nokia 3210 --> Nokia 8210 --> Nokia 7250i --> Nokia 6500 Slide --> Nokia N97 mini --> Nokia N9 --> BB Z30 --> Jolla C

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaracz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
To me it was common knowledge that there was nothing to praise ("beautiful industrial design") in the 5 minute dummy design of the N9.

Saw a new 7110 early on the flee market last Sunday. It sold in 15 mins. These things hold memory. N9 nobody would not recognize in a bucket of nails.
No need to exaggerate. Of all black slabs, the N9 is surely one of the better looking ones (and wasn't even necessarily black). The 7110 wasn't sold thanks to its looks, but because it's 12 years older than the N9 and as such is both rarer and more likely to bring about nostalgic feelings (contrary to the N9 it both looks like and actually is a phone of yesteryear). I'm willing to bet it was also on the cheaper side.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
But its the "Matrix" Phone isnt?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Anybody remember the Nokia Lauta? It was supposedly planned as an Nokia N9 successor with similar body construction and qwerty keyboard.

Too bad it was cancelled.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Anybody remember the Nokia Lauta? It was supposedly planned as an Nokia N9 successor with similar body construction and qwerty keyboard.

Too bad it was cancelled.
Yeah... this was the one that bothered me the most. I would have loved to have seen this one released and I do not particularly care for keyboards on my phones - but as stated earlier, I think it makes sense on a "pocket PC"...

Well, it's all history from here now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Problem is: Not enough ppl care for HW keyboards. They'd rather have all these shiny stupid games and the newest social media app. It's at least unclear if Nokia would have been where Blackberry is now -with or without HW keyboard- if they hadn't sold the phone business to Microsoft.

And even those failed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post: