Notices

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Great widget! Use it to display the active topics on this very talk.maemo.org

I came up with a few ideas but none too appealing for me except the maemo one ofcourse! What sites are you guys displaying via oculo? Share

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post

I came up with a few ideas but none too appealing for me except the maemo one ofcourse! What sites are you guys displaying via oculo? Share
I am displaying the Active Topics from this site, at least some of them, the main headlines from the mobile version of the NY Times. and free course lectures from Yale, http://oyc.yale.edu/courselist (highly recommended).

To tell the truth, though this is fabulous it takes up so much space I am not sure I'll find it useful for long, even though I have 9 views where I can use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
apps.
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post

I had the same idea as it seems perfect for TMO Active Topics, I also need to find other uses for it, a weather channel maybe useful if you don't like the present N900 apps?

Other than that news & sports headlines set up for websites on mobile phones, such as BBC's seem the other obvious ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Two feature request came to my mind:

1. "Render to background image" could render the webpage as an image. get the actual desktop number and set the background of that desktop to this image. Oculo widget could collapse to a square (maybe size little bigger than a program shortcut) for clicking to get the update dialog.

2. userstyle implementation like Stylish for Firefox, to render the pages with own custom CSS. Could make fonts better readable at small sizes.

thx for that great widget.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post

To tell the truth, though this is fabulous it takes up so much space I am not sure I'll find it useful for long, even though I have 9 views where I can use it.
I thought my idea was a good one.

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
@Mardy,

Nice application it works just fine.

A couple of ideas

1. is there a way that the icon could be set as a small icon when inactive and once pressed the program becomes active and opens up to the users customised size?

2. also this would be great if it could be incorporated with Vlad Vasiliev and Tanya Makova's live wallpaper application. Football scores updated in the background of your main home screen and full screen would be great.
Hey Gunni get your own ideas....

Originally Posted by gunni View Post
Two feature request came to my mind:

1. "Render to background image" could render the webpage as an image. get the actual desktop number and set the background of that desktop to this image. Oculo widget could collapse to a square (maybe size little bigger than a program shortcut) for clicking to get the update dialog.

2. userstyle implementation like Stylish for Firefox, to render the pages with own custom CSS. Could make fonts better readable at small sizes.

thx for that great widget.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Last edited by Bazza; 2011-05-12 at 09:05.

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
Hey Gunni get your own ideas....
Ups. Did not see the live wallpaper one ... But the custom css is my own :P

*Edit: And btw. .... my idea is _completely_ different from yours ... well kinda

Ha Ha

I may post in the live wallpaper thread see if we can get any joy from there.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

So far my most successful use-cases for Oculo are currency conversion and traffic map views, but I'm sure eventually more will come to mind. MRTG graphs or Debian Security Updates perhaps...

I keep running into a bug (PR1.3+CSSU) where I have to type in the desired URL for my widget quickly, or the config dialog will disappear on its own. Once past the URL input screen, the config dialogue stays put.

I often find myself wishing I could set a relative X and Y offset to begin the widget output at. In my traffic maps, I only care about the bottom portion of the image, so if the upper corner of the widget started at like 50px * 200px within the output element, I could trim out unneeded information.

Similarly, when using a Google Search to get updated currency rates, the HTML element containing the data has empty space off the right side. If I resize the widget frame, the text flows across two lines due to either a fixed element width or whitespace or something. Auto-clipping the whitespace out of the output image might fix this issue without the overflow problem.

Despite these wishlist items, Oculo is a great multi-use tool. I hope someday it appears in Desktop Linux distros also.

The Following User Says Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:
I use it to show the top left corner of the facebook page, showing me if i have any new notifications or messages directly on the homescreen! I put the small window it makes over the stock facebook status widget and voila, combining them to a very nice widget! And beside the Oculo screen i put both kasvopus and sociality icons... =)

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
/little offtopic
I still lack skills to monitor particular widgets memory usage under hildon-home. Is there any layman guide on how to spot memory leak easily to one _particular_ widget. Why I´m asking it here? Because after using this my hildon-home memory usage in htop in virtual* column has went up to 183 MB and my device is slowing down. This has happened over 6 days of period so to me of course the "braindead" way of fixing this is to restart device or kill hildon-home and add widgets again. Well to be fair I do not learn anything from that and on the other hand I know that I could somehow spot issue and make bug report but currently I do not have _any_ idea what to do.

I have read bugzilla entries for hildon-home issues and Nokia engineers have given only some really vague hints on how to spot issues on dev tools (and sometimes it looks like they do not even test hints themselves that they give). And in the end stating basically that "If python is involved then uninstall it because it eats your memory" and some really hard to follow "Look at your dirty value! It´s xyz big and thats not good"...okey...riiiight. No guides or real life walk-troughs with given tools. *sigh*

Sorry for rant, but I really like this widget, but to me all the slow down problems what I have encountered with N900 relate to widgets and testers inability to spot these long term issues with them.

*Then again this is not bad in general but what happens is that it just keeps itself there. Different parts of memory themselves seem to be quite hard to understand and one thing what I have understood is that fragmentation of swap might be reason for all this. But this is just guessing and not scientific observation.

Last edited by slender; 2011-05-13 at 09:41.