Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by luketanti View Post
I have a 0.12mm Soldering bit from antex usa. That is what I used. I can not take any better pictures for now. (My camera does not have macro mode) I did solder it first completely but the when I was connecting the port to the main board the small wires came off. I am using small magnetic wire used in motors.
That explains why you got solder all over the place lol you MUST file that tip down to a long point or you will no way do the soldering properly.

Well done max it seems you got no choice but to learn from your family hahahaha.

I was a design engineer that is why i am comfortable with small components and yes i have still got all my soldering/de-soldering equipment so that is the reason it only takes me 2 minutes if that.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by luketanti View Post
I have a 0.12mm Soldering bit from antex usa. That is what I used. I can not take any better pictures for now. (My camera does not have macro mode) I did solder it first completely but the when I was connecting the port to the main board the small wires came off. I am using small magnetic wire used in motors.
Yeah I think the one I bought is 0.1mm

To solder or de-solder a usb port on the N900 you MUST have as long as possible a pointed round tip even if it means it will burn out during the process of soldering because tips are very cheap and worth the while to file down, clean and tin just to solder your usb port back on.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
the tip has to be very sharp and long. Enough leverage to go in the space beteen the usb and the chip chassis. You can probaby better off to bending it a little to help but avoid contracting the tip.

Make sure the soldering is a low heat, if it's the hot one the you are risking of burning or over soldered pins with lead and could potentially short circuit and end result is castastophe when you plug in the charger. You got to be real careful and tripple checks those pins carefully. it could blow up the device or your charger.

Do it at your own risk. Be sure that you see it clearly a part.

Do use needle to separating those pins. a needle will be able to separate any over soldered lead in the pins. Scratch the gaps a few times and look closely for clearance.

When you're completely sure then go ahead and test it

Good luck and god speed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
One last important thing I forgot to mention is to constantly wipe your soldering tip with paper or the soldering cleaner sponge.

Make sure that every time you solder those pins, the tip has to be as clean as possible.

melted the lead onto the tip with a small portion, just a little that barely anything on the tip, too much will cause over soldering, so you need to be sure you put as little as possible and build it up slowly and do not rush

Some Lead wire cause the black burn so pick the thinest lead wire.

May the force be with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
This is the kind of equipment you need to rework small components and i am sure max has seen hahaha.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This is the kind of equipment you need to rework small components and i am sure max has seen hahaha.
yes i have seen similar but a more manual one lol. As you can see now aday every is improved from old analogous tools.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Balzan Malta
If I use the old +5V and GND and use the two alternate pins can I still use H.E.N??

those tools you got is awesome lol. i only have half the set you've got aye. I need the meter with micro pointy for testing small pins

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
yes i have seen similar but a more manual one lol. As you can see now aday every is improved from old analogous tools.
Yes for sure because we do not use the leaded solder any more, we use lead free that requires high heat and yes you have to be an expert to work on smd boards that are multi layered.

I never use a soldering iron to de-solder, instead i use hot air.

Tags
test points, usb port