Hey there,

simple question: How do I format a 2 GB MicroSD card for use under Maemo 5? (The card has been used in a camera before and now apparently has a filesystem not recognised by the N900.)

Cheers!

Not sure if this will help you, since I do not need to format I did not test it. It looks straight forward though. Check the wiki here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Reformatting_a_memory_card

This assumes your phone sees the card. Good luck!

Thanks, kd_alex! It doesn't help though, since File Manager assumes the card to be damaged (which it isn't) and therefore doesn't display any menu items other than "memory usage". Is there any other way? (Perhaps something like the good ol' DOS format command? Sorry, I'm a Linux noob!)

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You could format it in a PC, or you can try using mkfs.vfat from X Terminal (you'll need rootsh installed):
Code:
sudo gainroot
mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thanks, Rob1n! Problem solved. However, I didn't even get a chance to try your suggestion, because good ol' DOS "format" did finally do the trick. He complained about sector 0 being bad, so didn't write an FAT, but still the card was usable after the format. Just to make sure, I formatted it again with VaioSoft RecoveryManager. Now, everything works.