Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Not necessarily. Win 9x became a lost cause due to inherent limitations and early design decisions that doomed it. The same kind of basic design problems are limiting Symbian now, and I think will limit Android and iOS down the road. From what I see MeeGo is the only mobile OS powerful and capable enough to keep pace with mobile HW for the foreseeable future.
Exactly what kind of limitations are limiting Symbian? It wont take long before we see Symbian on the N900 by the looks of it. Wild Duck

So what does this mean. Are we going to wait much longer for MeeGo due to some OS Fails????

Here is the release timeline I am commenting from.
Attached Images

1.1 is already useful for some purposes, but Handset isn't there yet. Probably more like a Handset UX 0.5.
Thank you for that. The first step to dealing with a situation is to correctly identify where you are at.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
Here is the release timeline I am commenting from.
Yes, so am I. You can find those exact releases on repo.meego.com as well as go see the work going on in wiki.meego.com, in the development of the web site content, etc.

Also, please recall MeeGo.com is not equal Nokia MeeGo.

MeeGo.com is a platform project under the Linux Foundation where Intel and Nokia are the initial members. Nokia would eventually take a MeeGo.com release to target to base off, track it while developing, add their bells and jingles once release is out, they have very short time to market to put out their 'Nokia MeeGo' or whatever it's called.

Similarly, SuSE MeeGo would do this for netbook. Or Linpus, or others.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I think there's room for both, but I've been asking around about borrowing some build time to do a ARMv6+VFP build. And today while I was in transit I've spent time researching how to do it properly.

It seems like there's some awesome kernel work ongoing in the OpenWRT project, so that's covered..
I'm not sure about the room. Or about probability of success for MeeGo adpatation.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I'm not sure about the room. Or about probability of success for MeeGo adpatation.
I'd prefer to assume 0% probability and then beat the odds.

SSU^2 has a clear purpose and I'd be a user of it too.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
I love how the initial Meego 1.1 plans included marketing efforts (http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1) and was supposed to occur on October 21st, 2010 and that has come and gone without any comment, let alone a marketing effort.

And now the release is being called a "platform". (http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=1691)

Would one really need a marketing effort to release a development "platform" ?

Who does Nokia think its fooling here ?

Does anyone understand the concept of release early and often ?

Why don't they pare down the system to the bare essentials (basic calls, phone charging, etc.) and SHIP so that people can at least start using it to get the bugs out ? Right now everything is being developed simultaneously and nothing works. They are trying to do Big Bang development and that NEVER works.

It took a long time for USB devices to automount in Fedora. It shipped without that functionality and people accepted that. At least there was a Fedora. Right now there is no Meego.

So here is my advice to the Meego team. Take whatever you have that works and ship it as TESTING. Strip out everything that doesn't work. After 2 months of user use and bug fix releases, call that subset of functionality STABLE. Then you will have a code base to start building from.

This business of shipping without calls working and without battery charging working is BS. That is the base functionality of what the phone has to do. Without that, it isn't a phone !

Forget SMS. Forget apps. Forget everything except the very smallest set of phone functionality. Get that stable, put it in testing and SHIP it and provide some support resources so that people start using it and it gets tested in end user hands.

Right now you have a mess. You have tons of code being worked on. Nothing works. Nothing is stable enough for any of the end users to test. You are missing shipping deadlines. You are pushing deadlines back. And the market is running away from you.
Err..considering the unsatisfaction people have with Maemo and the N900 how on earth is that a good idea. It'd only work if Nokia sold the device to people who applied to be beta testers.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Also, please recall MeeGo.com is not equal Nokia MeeGo.
Here is another thing that pi$$es me off... every time we get close to a promised release date, the target changes. Meego != Nokia Meego. Release != something usable by an end user, ie now its a "platform", whatever that means.

Question: When are we going to see a schedule for a piece of software that I can use on my N900 without resorting to xterm or applying patches or dual booting, to make and receive calls without my phone crashing ?

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Err..considering the unsatisfaction people have with Maemo and the N900 how on earth is that a good idea. It'd only work if Nokia sold the device to people who applied to be beta testers.
That strategy isn't to help the end use, though it may because they might actually be happy seeing a piece of software that does something, rather than a bunch of promises for a piece of future software that does everything.

That strategy is to help the development process. The sooner you get a product in the customer's hands, the sooner you get real world feedback on it and the sooner the bugs get found. There is no bug testing force like 1,000 end users.

This is the premise of ship early, ship often. As far as I am concerned, Nokia (The Meego team of it) hasn't shipped anything because there hasn't been anything that remotely works well enough that a non developer user can even start to play with.

Contrast this with the live and RCs that Fedora ships.

Last edited by me2000; 2010-10-24 at 19:17.

Tags
troll, trololololol