Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but is it possible to add user-specified search string to Google local search, instead of pre-defined cateories?
Not yet, but it is going to be added quite soon.

Originally Posted by puiradu View Post
Hi!
What type of maps is this using?
Where can I get them?
ModRana is using tiled maps from various sources, for example from the OpenStreetMap project. Map tiles for the visible area are downloaded automatically, or they can be batch-downloaded for an area or tracklog.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
It will be available for MeeGo, will it not, MartinK?
Yeah, most probably. As long there is Python 2.5+, GTK and Cairo in MeeGo, modRana should run just fine

BTW, I am writing modRana to be as platform independent as possible. There are already packages not just for Maemo but also for the Neo FreeRunner and Ubuntu/Debian (including Ubuntu on ARM).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I updated last night and did a quick test - when it ran, the GPS couldn't get a lock (this has never happened to me before, I was at home with AGPS enabled, always locks in < 5 seconds).

I just retried it now & still no GPS fix - I tried ovi maps, no joy there either. I changed the AGPS server from supl.google.com to (the original) supl.nokia.com, but that didn't help. I then rebooted the phone, which fixed the problem (both modrana & ovi now work again). Probably just a random glitch unrelated to the modrana upgrade, but thought I'd mention it in case others also got the same issue.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
hi is there any way to reroute on the fly? so when I mess up driving I dont have to pull over to reroute manually. Thanks

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
hi is there any way to reroute on the fly? so when I mess up driving I dont have to pull over to reroute manually. Thanks
This would be a great future update!

Hmm I've got the most current version, yet voice navigation does not work. Do I need to turn it on separetly? I've installed espeak GUI.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
This could be implemented (by searching a new route to the destination from the current position and then starting navigation from the closest point of the new route).
But the trickier part is:
How to detect that something went wrong and rerouting is needed ?

So that it is not rerouting all the time or failing to reroute when needed.
A few possibilities that come on my mind:
  • distance to the next point is increasing for n seconds
  • distance from the last point to current position is longer than the distance between the next and previous point
  • making some sort of a corridor around the track, leaving the corridor triggers rerouting
Any other ideas how to do this ?
I thing I'll just make clicking the routing info box trigger the rerouting for now.

Originally Posted by MaxiKana View Post
Hmm I've got the most current version, yet voice navigation does not work. Do I need to turn it on separetly? I've installed espeak GUI.
It is currently enabled together with the visual navigation messages and I the "espeak" package is set as a dependency for modRana.
You can try if espeak works by typing this to xterm:
Code:
espeak "hello world"
I strange mechanical voice should great the world :-)

Also, do the routing messages change when you travel the route ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I think a corridor sounds great. and just err on the side of giving it time to be wrong (say 400 meters out of the corridor). then before reroute the voice could say "vehicle possibly off course, rerouting in ten seconds, doubletap app to disable rerout and contine using current route" (or something to that effect).

That way a reroute after it being detected you are a reasonable way off course would be the default, however the user would have a simple way (double tap screen within 10 seconds of the message) to disable the reroute. the message could even be "rerouting in 10 double click to disable".

I installed ModRana from extras-devel and its awesome.

I tried to download tiles for 10 kms and after some time, the phone became too hot with the diplay going blank. Had to pull out the battery and restarted the phone.

Is this behavior normal during the tile download? I am using Titan's power kernel (37).

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Two important things for navigating:
- autorotate the map
- "your" position on the map should be at the bottom of the screen, not at the center (so you could see as much what's coming ahead as possible).

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

what the heck am I doing?

I clicked download
I clicked max (160k)
I clicked max up and max down

what am I downloading, how big will it be and how long will it take.

and why don't I know what I am doing?

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps