I find the progress of the development releases troubling as far as the N900 part of things is concerned.

According to the emails posted on the Meego-Dev group, we have the following progress as far as the N900 is concerned:

August 11th

* Image built successfully from the latest release repos.
* Image does not boot up on N900.

August 18th

* Image buildable from the release repos, armv7l binaries used as the gcc issues have now been fixed.
* Home screen now visible.
* Unable to launch browser (Bug 4021)
* Most other applications are launchable, HW keyboard is usable.
* WiFi is still unusable on the device, the fix is now in trunk,
should be available for use in tomorrow’s daily images.

August 25th

* A refreshed home UI with newer set of icons are in use.
* WLAN icon, Battery icon, Phone icons on the status bar visible.
* The device’s performance is initially a bit slow, most likely due to tracker running in the BG.
* The virtual keyboard shows up and works.
* Music player is missing from the application grid (Bug 5292).
* BT option shows up in setting, but is unusable.
* WiFi is still unusable on the device.
* Fennec does not launch (Bug 4021)

September 1

* WiFi works.
* Fennec does not launch (Bug 4021)
* VKB closes when tapping on certain buttons on it (Bug 5651)
* Problems with tracker slows down start up and does not show up default media in applications (Bugs 6095, 6162)
* Battery charging does not work, bug listed as fixed (Bug 2260)
* Music player is not present in the application matrix (Bug 5292)
* Realignment of the home screen based on accelerometer inputs work.

September 8th

* Image not buildable currently due to the absence of the latest Qt fixes in this release.

September 15th

* Image buildable, but the release was not made due to various critical outstanding issues.
* duihome crashes when app closed/minimized (BMC#6566)
* No theming available (BMC#6482)
* Unable to use wifi from UX because of missing plugin (BMC#6488)
* Fennec unstartable (BMC#4021)

I find the state of the N900 part of things troubling given that its supposed to release in October. Furthermore, I really find the lack of builds trouble. Build early, build often. If its broke, fix it so that at least some testing can occur.

Aside: I kinda thought that the N900 device would be of very high priority for Nokia and would receive a good portion of the focus. Yet it seems that other devices are getting more attention. Why is this ?

Thanks

Last edited by me2000; 2010-09-17 at 01:08.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
IŽll believe the N900 runs Meego when I can do it myself.

WeŽll see until then.

But I wouldnŽt be surprised if it was a higher priority for Nikon to get Meego running on N900 than it is for Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
But I wouldnŽt be surprised if it was a higher priority for Nikon to get Meego running on N900 than it is for Nokia.
I meant Nokia, not Nikon. I've was looking at camera specs today and I'm fried.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
I meant Nokia, not Nikon. I've was looking at camera specs today and I'm fried.
I know

I do the same thing all the time.

I find the state of the N900 part of things troubling given that its supposed to release in October.
Considering it's a reference platform and not a consumer release, I wouldn't get too excited. Additionally, it's unlikely you'll be running direct from the builds you see here anyway.

Furthermore, I really find the lack of builds trouble. Build early, build often. If its broke, fix it so that at least some testing can occur.
Built images are published once a week. You could always do your own builds at any time.

Aside: I kinda thought that the N900 device would be of very high priority for Nokia and would receive a good portion of the focus. Yet it seems that other devices are getting more attention. Why is this ?

Thanks
What other devices? The Aava handset has Intel's attention and the N900 is the focus of Stskeeps and a handful of other people. I say either sit back and wait, or start doing your own builds and follow it closely. Or better yet, if you can contribute with a bugfix then do so.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Yes, it is a real worry.
It is better for the n900 community if Meego is successful AND attractive to move to.

However it is even more important for Nokia, yet you wonder if they get it.

They will release a new meego device and slowly the market will build. However it will take some time for this to come close to matching the base of n900 users, and this base has a very high percentage of developers and influencers.

If meego runs well on the n900 then many from here will happily move and meego on phones will get some real momentum. It will cost a fortune of marketing to get even half the same momentum elsewhere but they will probably spend money that way and burn a lot of the n900 base

cost inefficient. and worrying for nokia's future

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Detroit, MI
I agree that Nokia needs to make MeeGo available for N900's just to take advantage of already established great community and gain momentum. My opinion, however, may be biased due to the fact I am a N900 owner. And I don't know the reasoning on the Nokia side, because for them to have N900 users happy with MeeGo and give it good publicity they will have to include all the proprietary bits(Skype and Ovi maps, for example).
For now all we can do is Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Bo... Nokia. We can also use weekly released builds and report bugs, that's what I am doing currently.

The Following User Says Thank You to arcticrobot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
I might be way out of the loop, but AFAIK Nokia aren't going to be supporting an N900 release of MeeGo and so there probably isn't much in the way of resources being thrown at it.

Personally I don't see what everyone is bothered about - Maemo works plenty okay on the N900 and supports QT for forward compatibility. Furthermore, I can't imagine a cap-touch designed UX would work all that great on the N900s screen and it won't take advantage of the stylus on the N900.

The only people I can think of that would want this for a sensible reason are people who like to toy with getting everything running on everything, and they'll participate in development if they're interested.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I find the state of the N900 part of things troubling given that its supposed to release in October. Furthermore, I really find the lack of builds trouble. Build early, build often. If its broke, fix it so that at least some testing can occur.

Thanks
You're tracking what is essentially development images - these will fly up and down occasionally due to changes. QA notes bugs and these are tracked and dealt with. Due to big changes because many features were late, image quality on both sides fly up and down. Also, we intentionally do public weekly images. In the team itself we do daily builds.

For Aava (Please disregard their 'executable rate' - it's absolutely bullcrap)

http://wiki.meego.com/File:TrendChart_Acceptance.jpg

For N900:

http://wiki.meego.com/images/Accepta...0_20100917.JPG

Recently we've had to clean up a mess that was caused by 5 lines of shellscript, causing all C++ programs and libraries (Qt, etc) to be unoptimized on ARM. When we fixed this, it opened a serious pandora's box of issues that exists on X86 too but doesn't hit them as hard for various reasons. This is what has caused the problems with latest weekly releases. These are fixed now and should be reflected in next weekly.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Learn to expect absolutely nothing but words and no action.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: