Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
...the only conclusion that I can draw from that is that people don't want the Tablet School to return at all, because it was based entirely around these four things.
Who is "people" anyway? Your project targets new users and all this discussion is happening among experienced users.

You have a vision, you are willing to commit to your project, you are willing to do it with the Maemo community and within maemo.org... The biggest chunk of the work is the production of the videos.

If you succeed with that, you get users finding useful your project and you still think it makes sense to continue... then a well structured community shouldn't generate stop energies against it. Peopl willing to contribute should be able to contribute and the rest could be doing something else.

Wiki or downloads... this is the most trivial part of the work. And it's not worth discussing it at this point, really.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Much of this (to some extent flamed) discussion has forgotten to consider that

it takes a lot of skill and experience to make a good beginners tutorial.
Also in video.

Just remember all those user manuals you have sworn over...
The British magazine New Scientist (comparable to Scientific American) once had a discussion on its off topic page about even experimental scientists having a hard time getting the hang of their VHS recorders...

Krisse is certainly right,
some topics, especially for beginners, are better taught by video than by text,
and it takes some time to learn to make a good video.
(I don't mean technically, but e.g. in the timing of events.)

Of course,
in some cases explaining texts are needed even if there is a good video.

Krisse is right,
a collection of beginners tutorials (whether text or video) need to be supervised and organised by someone/people with teaching experience.
And beginners should not have to search inside a wiki of more advanced and hardly understood information.

Now, should maemo.org include some tablet schooling ?
I think it should.
It would, I think, be a good investment for the start of a future growth of developing manpower.

( A comment on the side :
I find it difficult to find good beginners information on Linux on the internet, after reading this discussion (well, some of it) I begin to understand why... )

The Following User Says Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:

Tags
video howto, video tutorial