Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
"MeeGo becomes an open-source, mobile operating system project. MeeGo will place increased emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices"

Next-Gen as in Midrange? (as you guys are saying)
Next-generation could also mean that MeeGo will ship in the future on high end, aka when it's ready. MeeGo was never intended to run the Mid range of models.

If this MeeGo will launch before 2012 and will be any good, maybe there's hope after all (whatabout intel, AMD?)

I ask this to every MAEMO user, have you ever been happy with a tablet/phone wich software was considered a project in the first place?

Well, I plan to keep my N900 as my main phone for quite some time, until I see the outcome of this. How Nokia handle Maemo/MeeGo after this remains to be seen.
A lot of Maemo developers are hoping they open source "everything", but bearing in mind it's still Nokia's property and doing so would jeopardize Nokia's copyright cases with Apple, so.... errrrm, it's just a wait and see game.
I'd love them to open up "everything" on the N900, then our restrictions would just be the hardware limits.

If I don't fancy another Nokia with WP7, then I may look towards the HP/WebOs market, see how that fares up.

Whatever happens, I'd still like to see the community keep banging away at our N900s. There's so much half finished stuff in the repos at the moment. Canola, Enna, Instinctiv were making out to be some good media players with nice front ends and features. Where the hell are the updates? Instinctive, we know about (thanks a bunch Nokia).

I'd like to keep my N900 for at least another 12 months at least to see if anything does appear on the MeeGo front. Who knows, Intel may find a new home for it if Nokia drop it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
It will take 2-3 years before they manage to output any decent windows 7 phone with services... I would have understood if they had sifted tottally to Meego. Elop doesnīt understand that itīs not all about smartphones anymore itīs much much much bigger picture. Itīs bigger than what MS is currently trying to deliver. We should speak about OS that you can install to your refrigeration, air conditioning automation. And center piece would be smartphone that identifies you and holds all the recorded tv-programs to contacts and EVERYTHING inside. Has maps and when I take it to car it automatically connects with my car OS and shows stuff on screen. FckAss

And Bing...WTF seriously? Who cares?

1. How could they shift totally to something that doesn't exist in a useable format yet? Would that mean halting sales of all other devices until MeeGo matures?

2. They can't do any of the futuristic things you describe until they become competitive again in the smartphone race. That's what this decision is all about. If they fail there, they lose the ability in the long run to do anything else.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
so meego gets released in about a year...when they smartphone market is totally different, and even worse the OS will be out of date.
windows mobile will be/ is a flop.
i dont see any way out for nokia other than selling shares now before liquidation.
shame i was hoping for a meego device, with this strategy whats the point?
sorry elop, but its not burning, it has exploded. all that is left is rubble

at least my n900 will be good enough for a few months until i work out whether it is webos or android.

and thanks for the 800/810/900 nokia! great shame!

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I really hope I wake up soon.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ministeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Stephen Elop is a VIRUS undetectible by Nokia FIREWALL.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yeah, at least Microsoft makes the trains run on time. Who cares where the trains are going?
Where trains end in this case:
http://james.lab6.com/2006/static/tr...1895_small.jpg

[reedit]

Last edited by ME2g; 2011-02-11 at 15:40.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Nokia, you failed me.

Ballmer, congrats.

Elop, you lousy basta*d.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Slovakia
Rest in peace, NOKIA...

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Stephen Elop is a VIRUS undetectible by Nokia FIREWALL.
No. He's a TROJAN created by MS solely for Symbian/Maemo/Meego OS

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org